free website stats program USA Oil Filters | Harley Davidson Forums

USA Oil Filters

glgarrett

Has anyone tried the stainless steel oil filter (USA Filters - K&P Engineering), which is "permanent" since it can be removed, cleaned and returned to service each oil change?

How much does it cost? Unless there's a huge saving, it seems to me that messing with cleaning it wouldn't be worth it. The nastiest part of filter changing is getting the old one off and cleaning up any mess you make in the process, which you'd have to do anyway. Once off, it's simple to just screw on a new one and be done with it.

most will tell you to use the stock one so you wont get much info .. never seen anyone post here they use one

Has anyone tried the stainless steel oil filter (USA Filters - K&P Engineering), which is "permanent" since it can be removed, cleaned and returned to service each oil change?

I remember seeing this filter on a bagger, the owner swears they were the best thing since slice bread (See link below Post #100) :27:

http://www.hdtimeline.com/oil/1759-oil_filter_poll-3.html

Thing is it is a reusable fine mesh screen element, not fine enough for Twin Cam engines that need approx. 5 microns of filtering, so if you read the fine print on the website, many who own late model H-D's may not want to use it for that reason.

K&P Engineering's Reusable Oil Filter

For the regular EVO and earlier folk, it may not be a problem...but the initial buy in value is pretty steep and after 5 or 6 cleanings, would you really want to reuse that element, much less the "lifetime" they claim... "--your ride, you decide!" :bigsmiley18:

question is though what is hds 5 micron rated at ive read a lot of stuff where thats a nominal rating and listed not to mean much ..seems no one knows the answer though ..

Remember that the TC engine has jets spraying the underside of the pistons for cooling. These jets have a fairly small orifice. Hence, the oil filter specs rated to 5 microns.

But as one of our esteemed Moderators often says, "your bike, you decide."

TQ

but is it rated at a true 5 micron or is that a nominal rating ?hd wont tell ya and others claim it might on slim chance filter that .. course hd gonna say its the best they are selling them ..
..im just playing devils advocate here seems lots us K&N and ya never hear a prob ....

What does this mean? If "effective" means "we catch 15%," well, I'm not impressed. You need an efficiency number along with the size number before you can really think you know something. No filter is 100% effective - this would require either very regular holes, which are currently impossible to mass produce, or very small holes on average, which would block too much oil flow.

Motorcycle Oil Filters Air Filters

good but long read that probley will confuse ya more

and no it isnt for the reusable filters ..

Heres a post from else where on ratings..a oil forum ...

Hi all,
This is cut and pasted from one of the many places I've researched, and let me tell you, after being booted from another biker forum, I've done extensive un-biased research on this!

Filter Ratings

Nominal filter Rating
Absolute Filtration Rating
Filtration Ratio (Beta)

1. A nominal rating is an arbitrary micrometer value indicated by the filter manufacturer and due to its lack of reproducibility this rating is of little or no value. Tests have shown that particles as large as 200 microns will pass through a nominally rated 10 micron filter.

2. An absolute rating gives the size of the largest particle that will pass through the filter or screen. This is the size of the largest opening in the filter.

3. A Filtration ratio is the ratio of the number of particles greater than a given size up stream from the filter to the number greater than the same size down stream from the filter.

Hope this is helpfull.
Do a search and learn about the differance between nano fiber and cellulose media. It should convince anyone of the benefits of nanofiber.

Last edited:
All,

Thanks for the input and references to good information. I ran across the K and P web site recently and was curious.

g

Back