free website stats program US vs. Foreign parts in HD Touring models | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

US vs. Foreign parts in HD Touring models

Yes, it does really matter! To me at least. When I purchased the Primary gasket the package read "made in china and packaged in the USA." This really bugged me and still does. I really look at things I purchas, just me. Have a happy 4th of July my country's birthday!

I would also like to purchase everything from US manufacturers. The point I was trying to make is would you still purchase Harley Davidson motorcycles if you found out that the clutch plates came from China? When I purchase aftermarket parts for my bikes I try to make sure they are American Made.

Okay i'm probably going to take a hit for this so here it goes anyways....personally I go for quality first before where it's made. I look at it this way it's my bike and no one else's so i'm going to purchase the best parts for it money can buy to take care of it no matter who makes it. If it's made in the US and is the best part we have a winner. IMHO

Well said Ultra Classic! Someone might want to argue about your statement, but I find your logic sound!!!

As related in the story about the chain case gasket, how does one find out ahead of time where a part is made? When you need a chain case gasket or other doohickey, how many places will you try before you give up and use the Chinese, Mexican or wherever part?

Okay i'm probably going to take a hit for this so here it goes anyways....personally I go for quality first before where it's made. I look at it this way it's my bike and no one else's so i'm going to purchase the best parts for it money can buy to take care of it no matter who makes it. If it's made in the US and is the best part we have a winner. IMHO

Totally agree with you. Naturally we woulds all like to think that products made in the good ole U.S.of A. are first rate but that isn't always the case. I am a Mould Maker by trade. When I first started out as an apprentice in 1970 I bought all L.S. Starett products, Depth mikes, dial indicators, dial calipers, etc. But in the early to mid 90's my dial calipers were failing quite regularly. Under my union contract my place has to replace all broken tools. After a while my boss told me that he was getting tired of spending $75.00 every time he had to ship those calipers out to get fixed. He said this is the last time I'm going to do that for you. So he sent them out, paid the $75.00, told me to keep the calipers and then bought me a cheap made in China replacement for $32.00. I honestly wish that I could write that they were a waste of money but the funny thing is, they lasted longer than the Starett's did!! He could buy two replacement calipers with money left over for the price of one repair cost! I couldn't tell him how to spend his money! So like Ultra Classic says, I look for the best product for my bike no matter who makes it. I strongly dislike supporting with my hard earned dollars a company that has no respect for the quality of their product and consistently sticks it to their customers.. I'm loyal to a point but I'm not that loyal!

Wow, The political ramifications of THIS topic! :s
A friend bought some leather goods in Mexico a few years ago. It stunk like a urinal. It's because of the substances used to tan the leather (urine).
I tried for one month to NOT buy anything made in China... I saved a lot of money THAT month!:p

I just got into lifted semi-offroad golf carts... and they are real big on parts made only in America... best I can tell most all American golf carts have a real high percentage of USA parts...Who would have thought golf cart people would be that big on only American products...:D

For years all I would purchase was American Made stuff....and I still firmly believe in it. I won't purchase american made junk any more than I will purchase foreign junk. American car manufacturers let us all down and they have paid the price. As far as Harley goes, I'm ashamed of them for what they have done just to make money for their shareholders, but I have loved their bikes ever since I could afford to ride one. You can't blame them when so many people are willing to shed their good money on overpriced imported products:newsmile055:, just to feel like they are part of something. Seems like good marketing to me, but for me I want my kids to have a job, so i treat their products the same way as I would Wal-Mart. I won't shop there either. I buy lots of Harley stuff for my ride, but I'll be darned if I will pay their prices for imported clothing. In that department they have let us down. God bless our country.

Back