free website stats program Upgrading Speedo | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Upgrading Speedo

The day I received the speedo/tach unit from UPS and was gonna install it, I went to San Jacinto HD for something. They have a '12 UC with 3,600 miles on it. I just have to have that bike. So I am gonna trade the HSC for the UC (with some added cash of course).

I have not even opened the speedo/tach UPS box. If someone wants this one, I will let it go for what I have in it plus you pay the shipping (be cheaper just to order directly from Newcastle or similar).

Cheers,

TQ

The day I received the speedo/tach unit from UPS and was gonna install it, I went to San Jacinto HD for something. They have a '12 UC with 3,600 miles on it. I just have to have that bike. So I am gonna trade the HSC for the UC (with some added cash of course).

Is this the story of : Some day you will own ANOTHER bagger :rofl

That's a fine way to get a tach TQ :D

Question: when you change a speedo does the dealer need to do something for odometer setting or is that stored in the ECU??

I have not even opened the speedo/tach UPS box. If someone wants this one, I will let it go for what I have in it plus you pay the shipping (be cheaper just to order directly from Newcastle or similar).

Cheers,

TQ

Congrats on the new purchase, pic's when you get it.:s

Question: when you change a speedo does the dealer need to do something for odometer setting or is that stored in the ECU??

I am out on a limb here, my neighbor bought 1 off flea bay, everything worked fine but the odometer display was on all the time, Me thinks the speedo needs a reflash by dealer with correct mileage also:s

I am out on a limb here, my neighbor bought 1 off flea bay, everything worked fine but the odometer display was on all the time, Me thinks the speedo needs a reflash by dealer with correct mileage also:s

The combo tach is supposed to display all correct info once installed properly, after 31 miles it marries itself to the bike. If used in any other bike after the 31 miles it will display vin error. Tell your neighbor to pull it and ship it back before the 31 mile marker. I wrote a walkthrough for installation above, that was for my model. Older models installation a little different.
*ie, the video below shows flashing it before installation, mine was direct plug and play and it read everything correctly. I'm guessing the instructions should be different depending on year?
How to Remove Replace the Speedometer on a 2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom 70900070A - YouTube

Yep. Got it yesterday!!

Cheers,

TQ

Yep. Got it yesterday!!

Cheers,

TQ

This has been on my don't need but gotta have list for awhile! Wondering on my 14 RK if it's possible to remove the tank gauge and plastic cup behind and install a flush mount gas cap in its place?
Away from home on travel so can' t look. I believe you can disable the combo speedo fuel gauge. Like the idea of 2 flush mount caps and using the new combo gauge for fuel, tach and speedo. Not sure if removing the tank gauge wire harness from the circuit will cause problems elsewhere. Guess I could put the flush gauge and not plug in but drives the cost up even more...not best option. I appreciate the input as always.
WAP.gif

This has been on my don't need but gotta have list for awhile! Wondering on my 14 RK if it's possible to remove the tank gauge and plastic cup behind and install a flush mount gas cap in its place?
Away from home on travel so can' t look. I believe you can disable the combo speedo fuel gauge. Like the idea of 2 flush mount caps and using the new combo gauge for fuel, tach and speedo. Not sure if removing the tank gauge wire harness from the circuit will cause problems elsewhere. Guess I could put the flush gauge and not plug in but drives the cost up even more...not best option. I appreciate the input as always.
WAP.gif

I haven't got that far yet, thinking same thng replacing tank fuel gauge and gas cap. I can tell you that the combo tach does offer disabling it's fuel reading and gear reading. I like the fuel reading but I rely on one thing when it comes to fuel, the trip meter.

Well, I went ahead and returned the speedo/tach unit to New Castle HD since they gave me credit on it. I had never opened the box. Additionally, I had a bunch of stuff in my online cart to order once they decided what to do about my return!

Cheers,

TQ

Back