free website stats program Upgrading Speedo | Harley Davidson Forums

Upgrading Speedo

TQuentin1

Staff member
Coming off of an Ultra, one of the things that troubles me about the '11 Heritage Softail is the lack of a Tach. Now I did install a V&H FP3 that gives me the option to monitor sensor data including the engine speed (rpm), but that means I have to have my iPhone on and draining the battery to have a tach.

So I have ordered one of the HD combo speedo/tach units to replace the original speedo on the tank. This is the one I got:

Combination Analog Speedometer/Tachometer MPH-74774-11B | Speedometers Tachometers | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store

It is mph only, but they have one that is kph only or one that can switch to either.

I ordered mine from Newcastle HD. Good price there.

Cheers,

TQ

I'll let you know how it goes. Supposed to be in today.

Cheers,

TQ

Ordered mine last week from Kutter, be in tomorrow. Truck-lite Phase 7 comes in today...heheh
Almost went with the #70900001A Combo Tach but it didn't have as many features as this one. Figure painters tape down along side the dash holding a couple of pillow cases ought to protect the paint. Youtube video showed the guy also using WD40 on the rubber ring to help it slide in easier.

Cheers,

TQ

I have that same one on my 2012 Heritage and love it. It looks great and the instruments are accurate enough. I like being able to adjust the backlit colors. Installation was easy! I don't think you'll be disappointed.

That's a very nice upgrade, I like it and have had thoughts about replacing my standard with the combo, unfortunately, this does not appear to fit my 08. The ones that do are not nearly as attractive.

Cheers,

TQ

OK, I checked out Newcastle and while they were cheaper than Kutters, they add a pretty high shipping charge so I'll prob. still order my stuff through Kutters. Let me know bout speedo. Thx

That is a cool device, my neighbor had that on his Streetbob, you have an option of changing the background lighting pretty cool feature:D

Ordered mine last week from Kutter, be in tomorrow. Truck-lite Phase 7 comes in today...heheh
Almost went with the #70900001A Combo Tach but it didn't have as many features as this one. Figure painters tape down along side the dash holding a couple of pillow cases ought to protect the paint. Youtube video showed the guy also using WD40 on the rubber ring to help it slide in easier.

Installation was a piece of cake. Maybe 40 Minutes max: (1)painters tape along the dash on the tank, several pieces and then cut a manila folder in half and run the painters tape on it and taped to the tape on the tank; (2) removed the seat and battery terminals, negative first: (3) removed the acorn nut on dash with a five sided socket; (4) lift the dash and place a shop rag underneath; (5) remove wire connector from existing speedo, lift the three tabs on plastic ring holding the speedo, push the speedo out; (6) WD40 on a small rag and lubricate rubber speedo/tank ring and pop the speedo/tach in. (7) install using the guide in reverse order.

I like it, now I get to play with the settings...heheh. Hope yours went as easy, TQuentin. :cheers

Back