free website stats program Upgrade Options | Harley Davidson Forums

Upgrade Options

shanedawg

Riders, I am currently deployed to Afghanistan for a year and well I have about 9 months left. Bust since I have been out here and have the extra pay coming in, my mind has been going crazy on the upgrades for my '01 Dyna Wide Glide. This might be kind of long because I have a couple questions.

My first is I want to go with a inverted front end and have heard that there is a 3 degree rake in the trees and +2 on the forks, is this a true statement? I am looking at purchasing the DNA inverted frontend, but want to make sure I get the right measurements.

Second, I also want to upgrade the cams and possibly bump it up to a 95 inch kit. But the cams are first I know there is a package to upgrade to the newer style cam chain tensioner or I can convert to gears. Which is the better option to go with or the major differences? Also what is the best size of cam to go with for an upgrade in all three ranges of power?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I want to order these items while I am out here so that when I get home everything is sitting in my garage.

Semper Fi,
Thanks,

Shane

Thank you for your service, you have some loaded questions here and some personal choices. Have a look @ TQ engine build for starters, and Bubbie has a lot to say about cams and tensioners, Good Luck, Capital Jack:s

Shane - thank you for your service.

9 months is a long time. The bike will be quick enough after a year of layoff. Bank the extra dosh in these hard times.

Ex CPO Royal Navy Retired.

Thanks to all for the advice. I was actually looking at getting a new bike, then thought a little more and decided that I would just make changes to the one I have to make it a new bike. Hope that makes sense, I understand the whole saving money and believe me after 16 years in the Corps that is definitely happening.

Is there a big difference or does anyone have advice on the difference between the Cam Conversion kits and changing the Cam to gear driven vice chain.

Also how about the rumors on the rake for an '01 Dyna Wide Glide. Do they come with a 3 degree rake in the trees?

Again I appreciate all help on these topics. Thanks

Shane

First of all thanks for your service. I don't have answers to all your questions but I'll tell you what I do know. There is some amount of rake inthe trees, how much I don't know. I know this because my Brother owns a 2006 FXDWG and I own a 2006 FXDL. Looking at both bikes side by side you can see there is some rake in the FXDWG trees. We have both upgraded our bikes with cams and we both went with the Screamin Eagle 255 cams. The SE 255 is a great all around performance cam that will really wake up your engine with out really sacrificing power at one point just to give it back at another. When ever you change cams you're going to experience some loss of power at low, mid or high end. The amount of loss will depend on how radical of a cam you choose and the area you lose it will depend on how much lift VS duration the cam has. Hope this answers some of your questions.

Short, thanks for the advice and you are welcome. I Love doing it, I guess that is why you can say I have stuck around for so long and don't plan to hang it up until I have about 23-24 years in.

When you changed your cams did you stick with the old chain tensioners or go with the new upgraded chain tensioners. The 255 Cam is what I am looking at, something to wake her up and gain in all stages not just one. Thanks again
Shane

Short, thanks for the advice and you are welcome. I Love doing it, I guess that is why you can say I have stuck around for so long and don't plan to hang it up until I have about 23-24 years in.

When you changed your cams did you stick with the old chain tensioners or go with the new upgraded chain tensioners. The 255 Cam is what I am looking at, something to wake her up and gain in all stages not just one. Thanks again
Shane

The SE 255 cam will not work with your bike. It is not available as a conversion cam and only fits 06 dynas and 07 and up big twins. I would go with an Andrews conversion kit with either the 21N or 26N cams. I have the gear drive version of the 21's in my 03 fatboy and love them. I just don't trust re-using the silent chain setup on the SE cam plate upgrade. But if you decide to go that route I would go with the SE 204 cams. They are a good cam but will come on about 500 rpm later than the Andrews 21.
TQ did this upgrade using a kit he got from Herko.
TQ's Engine Build - Harley Davidson Community
It is a complete kit and many have had great success with it.

P.S. I thank you for your service in defending our freedom.

Randall

...Riders, I am currently deployed to Afghanistan for a year and well I have about 9 months left...

My first is I want to go with a inverted front end and have heard that there is a 3 degree rake in the trees and +2 on the forks, is this a true statement? I am looking at purchasing the DNA inverted frontend, but want to make sure I get the right measurements.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I want to order these items while I am out here so that when I get home everything is sitting in my garage.

Semper Fi,
Thanks,

Shane

Shane,

Thank you for your service. As a retired NLD Army officer I know what it is to be out there.....

Did some research for you on the 2001 FXDWG frame.

It has a rake of 32 degrees. the inner fork tubes are 24 1/2 inch long.

Stay safe!

FXD2003Rider

Back