free website stats program Unknown Allen Drive Stud - leaking oil? | Harley Davidson Forums

Unknown Allen Drive Stud - leaking oil?

Chris mc

OK, I bought this Heritage used, and I am newish doing it myself. I have a small amount of pinkish oil coming from this Allen stud, under the camshaft. It's tight as hell, but does not look screwed in all the way. Please help this idiot? What is it, and should I be worried about such a small amount (just a drop to the touch, nothing on the floor)? Size is a 1/4 Allen wrench. Camshaft bolt.jpg

It's not screwed in , in the right way. Put a container underneath , and release it , then turn it back in , with some locktite.
Hope the thread isn't damaged to much. Do this as soon as possible , or you might loose it , due to vibration !.
The picture doesn, t show , where this plug is exactly located . Don't overtight it !!!.

It's not screwed in , in the right way. Put a container underneath , and release it , then turn it back in , with some locktite.
Hope the thread isn't damaged to much. Do this as soon as possible , or you might loose it , due to vibration !.
The picture doesn, t show , where this plug is exactly located . Don't overtight it !!!.
Thanks RoadKing - this is under the Camshaft, so if thats the engine oil that runs in there I don't know why it is pinkish in color because the dip stick does not show pink oil nor the transmission oil. Again, used bike so I don't know what was done before me. So what do you think, change the engine oil at the same time I take this out and put it back in?

What year? It makes a difference (camshaft, non plural = Evo engine) Allen head plugs are often tapered pipe thread and you can split the case by overtightening. It could be transmission oil, some are pink. The best way to isolate a leak is to thoroughly clean the area, then check daily. It could be dripping off the plug because it is at the lowest point.

I had a transmission leak that showed up at the bottom of the crankcase.Thought it was an engine oil leak at first.Yours being red,may be Redline Shockproof oil in transmision.

What year? It makes a difference (camshaft, non plural = Evo engine) Allen head plugs are often tapered pipe thread and you can split the case by overtightening. It could be transmission oil, some are pink. The best way to isolate a leak is to thoroughly clean the area, then check daily. It could be dripping off the plug because it is at the lowest point.
Breeze - it's a 2006. I cleaned around the plug and then ran it a few miles, and had the smallest amount of pinkish oil. Thr problem is I checked the transmission oil and its not red! or pink.

I had a transmission leak that showed up at the bottom of the crankcase.Thought it was an engine oil leak at first.Yours being red,may be Redline Shockproof oil in transmision.
Harttoo - how did you resolve your transmission leak?

Last edited by a moderator:
This plug is not bolted in , in the right way. As far as I can see it , on this bit blurry pic.
Maybe the used loctite is causing the oil-drip turning pink ??.
Just a thought !.

Harttoo - how did you resolve your transmission leak?
Dealer caused leak When they changed actuator.They fixed the problem.

Edited to fix quote, SledDog ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that pipe plug is the drain for the sump and the only oil that will come out is oil that has drained into the sump and there should not be more that about 6 oucnes that will drain if the plug is removed. If more that 6 ounces drains out, the OP has bigger problem as the motor is "sumping". The plug is not intended to be removed but if checking for sumping, it must be removed. The plug should be removed when the motor is "hot" and tightened gingerly. The torque spec for that pipe plug is 120-144 in. but staying on the light side will avoid over tightening and cracking the case. No thread lock, use any brand of pipe sealant.

Sorry but I don't have an explanation why the oil is pink.:confused:

This plug is not bolted in , in the right way. As far as I can see it , on this bit blurry pic.
Maybe the used loctite is causing the oil-drip turning pink ??.
Just a thought !.
Now that ain’t that far fetched of an idea.
I had a red drip trail down the right hand exhaust of my ‘75 GT 750. Just a smallish amount that never got worse.
Turned out to be Loctite that dribbled down from the exhaust mounting bolt.

Back