free website stats program Uninsured Motorist | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Uninsured Motorist

HarleyHarry, you've got a great idea there.

Many of the cities around here have started impounding your vehicle if you don't have proof of insurance whenever they pull you over or you're involved in an accident. Then, you can't get it out until you provide proof you had the insurance and just didn't have your card with you, or you've purchased insurance.

Texas has also just implemented a new program that requires insurance companies to report all policies and cancellations to them on a regular basis (I think it's weekly). Then, if you cancel your insurance you get a nice little letter from the state. If you don't get insurance pretty quick, they suspend your license. To get your license back, you have to show proof of valid insurance, and pay a penalty to the state for about $200 for the the next 3 years. Friend of mine got caught in this without being listed as a driver on his truck's policy, and there was no ifs, ands, or buts. He walked or bummed rides for over 3 months, which was the minimum suspension.

Not sure how effective it will be yet, but it makes renewing your license tags a lot easier if you have insurance because the State's records already have your insurance info updated.

HarleyHarry, you've got a great idea there.

Not sure how effective it will be yet, but it makes renewing your license tags a lot easier if you have insurance because the State's records already have your insurance info updated.

Here in the UK you can not get a tax disc (which you have to show behind the windscreen) unless you have a valid "mot" (safety check doc's) and insurance. There's still an estimated 5% of british motorists uninsured.
Maybe they should start to crush the car whilst the driver is still behind the wheel. Most just don't care or claim not to be able to afford it.

I've read all the posts under this thread and find it amazing that nobody seem to worry about the fact that decent people will have to fork out hundreds of dollars to protect themself against the finacial damage caused by the idiots who feel no responsibility for their own actions and the effect that it has on others.
Police should spot check for insurance and if found not or inadequately insured or
mechanically unsafe just push the vehicle in the mobile crusher they have brought with them.
I'n my view it's simple. Like with drink driving: you were sober when you started. You know your not insured when you turn the ignition key!
I would now like to pass the soap box onto someone else

Ive had the misfortune in the auto body industry to hear too many stories about people causing accidents without having insurance.One major problem we face is the growing number of illegal aliens infultrating our workforce.
My state introduced a law that wont allow you to get coverage without a social security number.As soon as there green cards expire so does there insurance coverage.For this reason alone it becomes self defense to have full coverage on anything you drive.
It has been a criminal offense for some time to operate a vehicle without insurance.So these illegals involved in an accident do get arrested,and are promptly released.It seems the deportation process involves far too much paperwork.

I've talked with some officers in the area that say they cannot arrest someone for being in the country illegally if they pull them over for a traffic stop. Too much problem with "violating their civil rights". They can't even contact ICE to inform them.

Much easier here,I have fully comp insurance,gives me legal cover (£50,000),breakdown,hemet and leathers,(£1,000)lost key cover (£1,500)and 3 days car hire if I loose my keys .Also protected no claims bonus .all for £138.75,and 90 days european cover anywhere in the EU.

PS, no insurance and your pulled on a public highway,bike/car, siezed,and in most cases,crushed.

Last edited by a moderator:
500,000 with a 3 million umbrella.

Can never be too careful. Sure, people are going to not have insurance or be underinsured. And thats a crying shame that people like us have to spend the money.

But it's still money well spent. Found that out about 13 years ago when we got in a head-on with a drunk driver. Its at those times you find out if you have the right policy.

I think it is rather funny that civil rights advocates say proof of insurance or license is discriminitory...HEY IT IS...driving or riding a motorcycle is a privilage...and as HarleyHarry said, you grab your keys knowing what coverage, ability and responsibilities you have and if you cannot bear the burden...just put the keys down and walk away. That is what laws are made for...keeping honest people honest and the outlaws...they are just out...or at least out of the driving public.

Last edited:
I may have misstated a bit. The civil rights advocates don't think having insurance is discriminatory; they think detaining someone for being an illegal alien when you pulled them over for something else is discriminatory.

God bless ACLU lawyers.

TXMikey, no problem other than the fact that if you are here illegally and happen to be partaiking in the privelage of driving a motor vehicle...you are bound by law to be technically under arrest already, the minute the officer flashes his light, siren or bullhorn...once stopped it the onas is on you to explain yourself and the peace officer. Discrimination? hey when you are detained you are automatically being segregated from the free public, detained, but still innocent until proven guilty. There should not be a question about civil rights as uninsured motorist is as defined, unlicensed driver and illegal alien is also...and yes when under arrest the search and seizure of you and your vehicle is moot.

Last edited:
Back