free website stats program Ultra owners, how do you endure the buffeting? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ultra owners, how do you endure the buffeting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am 6'2" and didnt find any significant buffeting with the stock shield but you could feel some rumbling. I put a Cee Bailey on my bike because I wanted to see fully over the shield rather than have my eyes right at the edge of it. The much lower Cee Bailey (I got the 12" which is equal to a Harley 9 inch shield) is still pretty good on the highway but does have some minor helmet shake at speed (70 ish and up). I could really go with a taller Cee Bailey (like a 14 or 15) and see over it fine and I bet the air would be better but havent broke out the wallet yet. I have no pillion experience to advise on this.

I do not have this issue at all! How did you get past the looks of the BMW? I'm sure they are fine machines, but IMHO they are ugly. I just like the Harley look I guess. Welcome to the forum.

Prior model year BMW RT's (say the 2000-2005 ranges) are/were one of the nicest designs for a faired bike made (I know, one opinion). All sweeping curves and the electric windshield one of the best inventions ever!. Put that baby up and all you had was quiet air. As long as you were moving you werent rained on or beat around, from your ankles to your head. Also no engine heat to deal with whatsoever. I am not much for the newer design but its still good. Then again I am a cycle whore and like just bout anything with two wheels and a motor....which is what brought me to an ultra.....NEXT.

Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
I've road tested all the batwing's and shark nose and I found the buffeting to be uncomfortable for me. The Road Glide wasn't as bad as the Ultra. That's why I have a Road King with no windshield...smooth air.

Thorns

I;m 6-0 and have not had buffeting issues at all. Generally wear a half helmet and still have the stock wind screen. Have rented a Road Glide on vacation and did have significant buffeting form what I believe was too short of a wind screen.

Anybody else notice that person who started this bash has not made another post or even a second post? Lets lock this thread and ban this spammer. They have got way more attention than deserved and is enjoying this. Be rid if them. :( PLEASE.

Anybody else notice that person who started this bash has not made another post or even a second post? Lets lock this thread and ban this spammer. They have got way more attention than deserved and is enjoying this. Be rid if them. :( PLEASE.

What do you want me to do? Reply to every single post? I am just reading other’s people experiences. It’s your problem that you feel offended by the fact that I have found something I dont like on your icon. I asked the very same question on V-twin forum and H-D forums and got many replies from people who are experiencing, or have experienced the same head-rattling buffeting, so I am definitely not making things up.

As for the more cultured people here, thanks a lot for all your tips and advices! I had the deflectors closed and the windshield was standard height. I actually felt that shorter, more aerodynamic shield (like Harley’s own wind splitter) might be better for me than stock or higher one. Shame there’s no chance to try out...

I am 6 ft tall and wear a 3/4 helmet. The standard windshield gave me a lot of buffeting. I installed a windshield that is 3 inches shorter than the one the bike came with, and the buffeting is almost completely gone. There do seem to be some combinations of wind speed, wind direction, and bike speed where I do get some buffeting, but then it is a motorcycle.

Im affraid this is something that your going to have to experiment with, We had a 15 in. Clearview with a vent and really liked that, now just for kicks tried this 17 in. V-Stream, it is just as good if not better. But as others have said the shorter re-curves that throw the air above you, or the taller shields like we use will all do the job for you.. Good Luck, Tim

OK, mine's a Classic not an Ultra, but mostly same principle as far as buffeting. I have a choice of either feeling wind buffeting the bike with the batwing extensions, wind deflectors, and tall windshield bolted on or feeling some of the buffeting on me with them removed and looking over a short-short windshield.
I'll run all the wind bucking gear mentioned above when it's cold outside, but I strip it off just as soon as it gets tolerably warm outside. The wind resistance caused by the tall windshield, batwing extensions, and fork mounted wind deflectors reduces my gas mileage by 5 MPG. I don't see how you can get away from some kind of buffeting (Well, maybe by staying with a Beemer. I don't know about them :p).

Stock 2008 Electraglide Classic, stock windshield, batwing extensions, 5'11", shorty helmet, hog tunes, my cockpit is an oasis of calm at any speed. :D

If the machine doesn't work for you, time to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back