free website stats program Ultra owners, how do you endure the buffeting? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ultra owners, how do you endure the buffeting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2010 Ultra, with a stock seat and windshield. I'm 5'10" do not notice any of the afore mentioned buffeting at all.

Wayne :newsmile061:

with the stock screen on both my Ultra Classic and CVO Ultra i do not suffer this buffeting you talk of, may be a slightly higher screen would solve the issue for you on the UGLtd, i am 5'5" and can ride 80+ without hiccup, but then i am also used to riding with out screen and with apes

Hobbit, at 80mph+ what wind? :newsmile100: Actually he makes the excellent point that screen height and angle is the main thing causing the buffeting...all things being equal. The aerodynamics are such that the air tries to fill the vacuum behind the fairing and collides with air flowing from down low as well, lifting your helmet and causing oscillation. While on a clear stretch of road, have you raised and lowered your helmet into the wind flow and found a "quiet" zone, and also use you left hand as sort of a wind vane at your chest to deflect the lower wind to see if it affects this. Don't forget the helmet selection is also a factor.

I changed from a BMW RT and wore a Schubeth and BMW system helmet. I was always messing with the screen to keep it calm and queit, eventually I had a tall screen which seemed to be the best compromise.
I changed to an Ultra 09 with the Schubeth there was a lot of noise and wind buffeting, (I do not know where they get the quietest helmet in the world, could never ride without erarplugs, that included the BMW helemt).

I now wear an Arai Open face with a visor, no buffeting or wind noise (I always wear earplugs) but can ride at any speeds with visor up or down no problem. I have no issues with rain either it just runs off the visor.
I have the standard screen and am 6'3".

I am 6' 4" and have the standard screen as well as a short screen (3 or 4 inches tall) that I put on in the summer. I have a HD modular full face helmet.

I do get a little buffeting, but I think everyone's interpretation is different, much like the sound of differrent exhaust pipes. I don't think it is terrible and if I duck my head below the tall screen it is a very quiet ride.

Just my guess, but I don't really think that HD designed the UC to run at 85 mph with that type of fairing.

Still don't understand how the passanger is getting buffeted, but maybe the are much taller than you. Even with the taller passenger seat, no one that has gone for a ride with me has ever complained.

Yes the stock wind screens are not to good, Im 6 foot plus, bought a 17 in. V-Stream from JP CYCLES, now Im looking through it, but,,,, there is no buffetting what so ever for me or my wife. It really makes it nice on a long ride...... Good Luck..Tim

I am 6'4" and the stock windshield and seat resulted in no buffeting at all with either a full face or a 1/2 helmet. The small 4" windshield that was on the bike when I bought it was horrible at highway speeds but on back roads is nice but foreget about it in the rain. I recently went to a corbin seat and a 8.5" recurve from Klockwerks and this seems to do the trick also. I get very little and sometimes no buffeting at all with the 1/2 helmet and I am sure that the full face would be even better. As others have said if you have the vents on the lower part of the batwing open you will feel it but with them closed it really makes a difference.

Mike

15' Windshield and no more double vision. only issue is you have to look through the windshiels. Little hotter but i can open the vents and the air hits me in the chest, not the head.

15' Windshield and no more double vision. only issue is you have to look through the windshiels. Little hotter but i can open the vents and the air hits me in the chest, not the head.

15' windshield? Where can I get one of those?:newsmile100:

Sounds like you may have had a short shield or the deflectors were open. The breeze from the deflectors usually comes up and not on the top of the helmen.
I have had an 04 and an 08 ultra. I use a tall windshield and am 6'4" Wear a 3/4 helment but none of the problems you are tlaking about.

For sure make sure the vents under the fairing are closed and you can either get a really tall shield and hide behind it or what I did; a shorter Clearview with the recurve and look over it. I like that the best; the recurve shoots the air over me and I always have a clear view of the road...plus they look good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back