free website stats program Turn Signal Help - 09 FLHX | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Turn Signal Help - 09 FLHX

so....does this tell me that by bypassing the TSM we can make it work thus the TSM is the issue here?

You checked both output loads of the TSM and found no shorts or opens. You also checked the 2 inputs (pin 7 & 8) and know they are ok (from thread entry point #22). We also know pin #1 & #2 are OK. Pin #3 is probably ok since TSM error codes do get to the speedo for display. You checked the dash display array of lights for shorts.

So since we have not found a major fault in the wiring, I would say it would be ok to install a new TSM without it getting blown from the get-go.

Not that it has anything to do with your current problem, you may want to cross check the reason for the low voltage readings in thread entry point #30. 10.58 volts is way low. Something is not right. Maybe the battery is just run down from all the testing? Maybe the meter is out of calibration? Maybe the battery is on it's way out? Maybe the battery terminals may need cleaning? Maybe the grounding studs under the seat are oxidized..

If you have a second meter, place one directly across the battery and one across pin #1 of the TSM and frame ground. See if they read the same values and if they track as the voltage falls. That will immediately tell you where the problem most likely is. I also have a 2009 and I just changed the battery 2 months ago because the Amp/hr capacity was falling off. Getting a green light on a Tender tells you nothing about battery capacity. It just tells you that "what's left of the battery" (its amp/hr) is at a full charge.

Since you don't have factory security, you won't need to marry the new TSM to the ECM. You got a break there!
I think your ready to go. You did Good!

I just have to take this moment to thank Hoople for using his awesome knowledge of all things electronic to help this member out so thoroughly and patiently!

He's definitely an HDTimeline VIP!!!

:worthy

Dr. maybe you guys could change his label (under his forum name) from Contributor$ to ForumVIP. I for one feel he has certainly earned it over the years.

Hoop where are you getting those wiring schematic sheets like that. They are sooooo much easier to trace with the colored wires. They look like ones I've seen in Haynes Harley manuals but those don't have the connection number labels like that. I have the standard HD manual and it's all black lines, much more difficult to get the big picture.

I totally agree with the VIP rating for Hoople. He is still the only person I have met that can explain electrical problems so that I can understand the process in troubleshooting. Teaching is an art, and to do it well you must be able to explain things so that the slowest student can understand the whole process. Thanks HOOPEL!

Oh, man!!!! Thank you so much for helping me to this point! I'm going to go ahead and order a new TSM and give it a shot.

Regarding the low voltage, that concerned me too as I have checked those points before and was not getting that kind of reading, was getting normal. Maybe it was the solar flare :).

Thanks again....I'll report back once I get a new TSM plugged in.
WAP.gif

lets start the drumroll......just check USPS website and the TSM has been delivered to my house....tonight's the night we find out if that was/is the problem. fingers crossed that i plug this thing in and everything's a go.

lets start the drumroll......just check USPS website and the TSM has been delivered to my house....tonight's the night we find out if that was/is the problem. fingers crossed that i plug this thing in and everything's a go.

Harder to type this with my fingers crossed but wishing you good luck!

Well...here's the update. Plugged the new TSM in as soon as I got home and ALL BLINKERS WORKED!!! Spent today rewiring throe bars and putting everything back together (testing after every step)...and GOT MY FIRST RIDE OF THE YEAR in this afternoon!

Many thanks to Hoople....let me buy you a t shirt or something from our dealership!!! Message me your addres and I'll send it!!!

Thanks all...you've created a loyal hdtimeline member.
Steve
WAP.gif

Great news Rock Chalk. Glad you got your issue sorted. Very nice work Hoople and the rest. This is another great example of what this place is about. Job well done to all.

Back