free website stats program Turn Signal Help - 09 FLHX | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Turn Signal Help - 09 FLHX

I disconnected what I believe to be 21a/21b...it is the first connector coming from the inner fairings indicator lights, but the wire colors to the housing # don't match your schematic. I proceeded as it was correct.

There is some conflicting information in my books.

Would this be more of a match to the wires you see on 21A-21B.
1=> Brown
2=> Green/yellow
3=> White
4=> Violet
5=> Black
6=> Orange
7=> Tan

Those are strange results on testing pins 5 & 6 of 30A-30B with your meter. Quick question: Are you absolutely sure you have the correct bulbs installed in the turn signal sockets. My books indicate rear bulbs are single filament and front bulbs are dual filament. Also, are you sure both the "Battery" & "Ignition" fuses are good.

yes, those match exactly what I considered to be 21a-21b.

I am sure as I can be on the bulbs. I had the original bulbs in for the first week or so of working through this problem and just replaced all of them with new bulbs that I bought at the dealership. Yes, the front bulbs are dual filament and the backs are single.

I kind of thought the same on the readings...I was at least expecting something to happen. Could I have been doing something wrong/on the wrong setting or something?

Another guy I was talking to is telling me its the TSM gone bad. I tested terminals 7&8 on 30a-30b and was getting just under 12 volts when i held the blinker button in. Terminals 1&2 also (30a-30b) had just under 12 volts. What are your thoughts on that? I guess I'd like to be sure (as sure as i can be) that the TSM is the reason before i drop $125 for a new one.

Rock Chalk could you tell me the year and model of your bike ?

These connectors that you guys are examining currently is the part of the harness I was referring to in my original post for the wiggle test. With everything hooked up and ignition on, slowly wiggle these connectors up and down and see if you sigs work intermittendly. Sometimes a short or an open will show up like this.

Also where are these connectors on your bike ?

Ugh well actually looking again it was 31a and b that I was referring to (the front) but it don't hurt to check the rear ones as well.

tell me the year and model of your bike ?

Also where are these connectors on your bike ?

2009 FLHX. Connector 30A-30B is the quick disconnect in the PDF document I attached in entry #4. Harness to TSM connector. 21A-21B is the dashboard instrument panel. (oil pressure,neutral light, left turn right turn, hi beam etc)

2009 FLHX. Connector 30A-30B is the quick disconnect in the PDF document I attached in entry #4. Harness to TSM connector. 21A-21B is the dashboard instrument panel. (oil pressure,neutral light, left turn right turn, hi beam etc)

yep, what he said. the 30a-30b is under the right side cover. 21a-21b is inside the fairing.

So your meter reads OL or infinity on both pin 5 & 6 of connector 30B with the 4 bulbs removed.
Earlier you did use the words "is a bit too technical for me" so read through this and see if this is something you want to handle. If you don't, I can understand.

I am using Genuine HD year specific documentation on this problem but I think there is a type-o within it because some of it appears to be incorrect,
but that's OK. We can work through it without any problem. But because I can't fully trust the documentation, we have to play it safe. There is a spare 15 amp mini fuse in the fuse panel. Take it to an auto parts store and get a couple of those same shape fuses but just in a 5 amp rating.

Once you have a few 5 amp fuses, take the following steps.

The 4 bulbs are still all removed and connector 21A-21B is still disconnected. 30A-30B is also apart. With the Ignition switch ON, take your volt meter and measure the voltage on Pin #1 of connector 30B (harness side of TSM a brown/gray wire). You should read 12 volts. Now measure the voltage on PIN #2 which is a gray wire. You should also read 12 volts on it.
If you don't read 12 volts on both, stop and reply. If you read 12 volts on both Pin #1 & #2 continue

With the key OFF, replace the 15 amp fuse labeled "Battery" with a 5 amp fuse. Install both right side and left side FRONT bulbs only. Make up 3 short pieces of wire with stripped ends. Connector 30B should be the female side. Insert one of the 3 wires you made into female receptacle pin #1,, another in receptacle pin #5 and another in receptacle #6.
*Pin #1 is always battery HOT even with the key off. So don't let that wire touch ground or you will see sparks.*

With key OFF, touch wire #1 to wire #5. The left front bulb should glow.
Now touch wire#1 to wire #6. Right front bulb should glow.

Install both rear bulbs.
Touch wire #1 to #5. Both left bulbs should glow.
Now touch wire#1 to wire #6. Both right bulbs should glow.

Reconnect 21A to 21B.
Touch wire #1 to #5. The BOTH left bulbs should glow along with the left dash indicator.
Now touch wire#1 to wire #6. Both right bulbs should glow along with the right dash indicator.

Does all of this happen without blowing the 5 amp fuse..

this is all stuff that I can handle....I'm just new to this, so some of the verbiage that you used earlier wasn't clear to me. I'm handy when I know what to do...I just lack knowledge :)

I understand everything you've laid out here and will give it a shot tonight. I'm leaving town until Sunday, so I'll do this before I leave and reply to what I find and then won't be back at it until Sunday.

While frustrating, this has been a pretty good/fun experience too. Learning alot!
Thanks,
Steve

. . . . . . .
While frustrating, this has been a pretty good/fun experience too. Learning alot! . . . . .

You bet it has for me too. It's fun watching Hooples brillant steps of eliminating each sector of the circuit. After reading his last post the elimination process is really so simple but I would have never been able to decipher and enact it without him pointing it out to me. He's even thrown in some 5 amp protection in the process.

So your meter reads OL or infinity on both pin 5 & 6 of connector 30B with the 4 bulbs removed. Correct
Earlier you did use the words "is a bit too technical for me" so read through this and see if this is something you want to handle. If you don't, I can understand.

I am using Genuine HD year specific documentation on this problem but I think there is a type-o within it because some of it appears to be incorrect,
but that's OK. We can work through it without any problem. But because I can't fully trust the documentation, we have to play it safe. There is a spare 15 amp mini fuse in the fuse panel. Take it to an auto parts store and get a couple of those same shape fuses but just in a 5 amp rating.

Once you have a few 5 amp fuses, take the following steps.

The 4 bulbs are still all removed and connector 21A-21B is still disconnected. 30A-30B is also apart. With the Ignition switch ON, take your volt meter and measure the voltage on Pin #1 of connector 30B (harness side of TSM a brown/gray wire). You should read 12 volts.it didn't read 12, it read 10.58, but was continually dropping...not sure why, but I continued Now measure the voltage on PIN #2 which is a gray wire. You should also read 12 volts on it. same thing here, it was a little short of 12 and dropping....i continued though
If you don't read 12 volts on both, stop and reply. If you read 12 volts on both Pin #1 & #2 continue thought i was close enough and i've always read 12 on these so i continued....had to test this

With the key OFF, replace the 15 amp fuse labeled "Battery" with a 5 amp fuse. Install both right side and left side FRONT bulbs only. Make up 3 short pieces of wire with stripped ends. Connector 30B should be the female side. Insert one of the 3 wires you made into female receptacle pin #1,, another in receptacle pin #5 and another in receptacle #6.
*Pin #1 is always battery HOT even with the key off. So don't let that wire touch ground or you will see sparks.*

With key OFF, touch wire #1 to wire #5. The left front bulb should glow.
Now touch wire#1 to wire #6. Right front bulb should glow. yes they glowed exactly as you described

Install both rear bulbs.
Touch wire #1 to #5. Both left bulbs should glow.
Now touch wire#1 to wire #6. Both right bulbs should glow. again...exactly as described, all 4 glowed when their wires were touched

Reconnect 21A to 21B.
Touch wire #1 to #5. The BOTH left bulbs should glow along with the left dash indicator. right on again....
Now touch wire#1 to wire #6. Both right bulbs should glow along with the right dash indicator.and...yes exactly as described

Does all of this happen without blowing the 5 amp fuse..
yes. no issues whatsoever with 5 amp fuse

so....does this tell me that by bypassing the TSM we can make it work thus the TSM is the issue here? And if it is, I must have "blew" the TSM when i created the issue?

I'm heading out of town now, but I'll be checking here to see what your thoughts are. Be back in front of the bike on Sunday.

Thanks,
Steve

Back