free website stats program Trying To Mount My Rear Wheel . . . '85 H-D | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Trying To Mount My Rear Wheel . . . '85 H-D

YOU'RE ABSOULUTELY RIGHT . . . About That My Good Man

Hey fin_676 :)

Man are you right about watching out for the wrong moves I made during this tires/brake pad experience. I'm writing a log on all the I've done with my Harley and WHAT TO WATCH OUT FOR ~ To AVOID mistake I made in the past.

As far as new bolt (No) I put the small ones back; but cleaned 'em up and put loctite and torqued 'em down. Its not going anywhere. But THANKS - 4 - the heads-up on on all your suggestions. :bigsmiley12:

I think on your project of changing your tyres you have managed to hit almost everything that could go wrong
But once you have it all back together the sense of elation will be so much greater because of the problems you have encountered and over came
Next time it will be much easier because you will know what can go wrong and you will watch out for it
if you have removed and refitted the brake rotor and the pulley i hope that you have used new bolts and used loctite on the bolts and torqued them to the correct torque as you dont want them breaking loose as you go down the road
i had a pulley come loose once no loctite on the new bolts

Brian

You are welcome on any help or suggestions that you are given a lot
members on the forum have knowledge they want to share with others to help ensure that the experience of living with your motorcycle is pleasant one however experience says that problems will occur and we want to see you back on the road and live every turn of the spanner with you
hopefully all is going well now and you are back on the road

Brian

Re: YOU'RE ABSOULUTELY RIGHT . . . About That My Good Man

And that would be the pro version of what I do - thanks for the tip, I'll try that next time.

Hey fin_676 :)

Man are you right about watching out for the wrong moves I made during this tires/brake pad experience. I'm writing a log on all the I've done with my Harley and WHAT TO WATCH OUT FOR ~ To AVOID mistake I made in the past.

As far as new bolt (No) I put the small ones back; but cleaned 'em up and put loctite and torqued 'em down. Its not going anywhere. But THANKS - 4 - the heads-up on on all your suggestions. :bigsmiley12:
Karlsbike, Breeze has you covered...I use a wooden paint stir once I get the pads opened up with flexible 2" stainless paint scraper (not that I'm a particularly good painter), just common home/garage tools I have going on.

Schooner, sorry you had that "--Shakespearean tragedy..." with the tire/wheel R&R. Very good that you got it sorted and shared the experience. BTW can you use the smaller font than #3 please. It is causing my precious orbs "--and ears" because of all the screaming reading your posts...
icon6.gif

Hey Karisbike (Stupid Here) :newsmile026:

This is a WARNING to all dump guys like me.

Check this out.

I broke my hump getting and squezzing in the brake calliper and the brake pads to fit on the rotor. I tightened everything up and was proud of myself.

Do to the fact I NEVER changed a motorcycle rear tire before or installed new brake pad. Man, I was beat and sweaty.

I sat down near my rear wheel on a small plastic stool. My view of my newly mounted rear wheel was just a bit below my eye level.

I happened to look at my tire. And what did I see? I MOUNTED THE TIRE '' BACKWARDS " the tire thread going the wrong way :small3d031:

I attached the spocket on the WRONG SIDE OF THE REAR TIRE. ROTO DISC WAS ON THE WRONG SIDE ALSO :wall

I couldn't believe what a DUMB mistake I made. So off comes the spocket and the rotor disc. I re-attached the spocket on the correct side of the wheel MAKING SURE THE TIRE THREAD was going in the RIGHT DIRECTION.

By this time I was DEAD TIRED. i just laid the rear tire near the bike and I'll tackle the mounting of it tomorrow. That's if I don't die in my sleep !

So guys be forwarned: DON'T DO WHAT I DID. LOOK @ THE DIRECTION OF THE TIRES BEFORE YOU MOUNT 'EM. Its a tough lesson on my part. However, I assure you guys IT WILL NEVER EVER HAPPED AGAIN ON MY PART.

I'm done :(

Schooner, I know how you feel. :) I seem to have the knack for doing things the hard way too. :s

Schooner; I've been wrenching on my own bikes, cars, washing machines, lawnmowers and whatever else has moving parts for 50+ years. I have made every "DUMB" move possible, and some that are not possible according to experts. :D I wish I cold say I "USED" to make dumb mistakes, but that would be an outright lie. I get so wrapped up in 97% of the project, that I often totally overlook something basic. Lucky for me locktite is cheap and takes a while to set up. :bigsmiley23:

Well Schooner, all I can say is: Welcome to the club...

Whether it is forgetting to get the right shims in place for the gearbox shift drum or tyre mounted the wrong way - I'm a member;)

Thanks Guy -4- Letting Me Know I'm Not NUTS

Hey Breeze3at :)

Now I don't feel like such an IDOIT :newsmile026:

Its like lots of my own life. Its right there in front of me and I DON'T SEE IT.
And low and behold I'm eating a (EDIT)
sandwich again

Just got a couple more things to do in order to get me new custom painted '85 H-D in the wind.

1. Dual Front Brakes -2-B- install (by guess who) :newsmile026:
2. Put all newly painted body parts back on Harley.
3. Start the engine; I did rebuild the carb.
4. Install brand new windshield. (Nice and clear baby)
5. Whew ! Almost done.
5a. Install new dual mirrors both sides.

DONE GOD WILLING.
STAY TUNED GUYS ~ FILM @ 11 :bigsmiley24
Schooner; I've been wrenching on my own bikes, cars, washing machines, lawnmowers and whatever else has moving parts for 50+ years. I have made every "DUMB" move possible, and some that are not possible according to experts. :D I wish I cold say I "USED" to make dumb mistakes, but that would be an outright lie. I get so wrapped up in 97% of the project, that I often totally overlook something basic. Lucky for me locktite is cheap and takes a while to set up.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Try putting a jack under the tire and raising it up into the swing arm ...works great for me .once you get it high enough every thing slips in place.

I Finally Got That Sucker Into The Swing Arm . . . Thank You JESUS

Hey MyStreetGlide :)

Boy, I finally got the tire into the swing arm and I was dead tired. Dancinig around with holding/pushing & YELLING to get it in there. With really helped
was a 2x4 by 3ft. long to hold the tire in place.

Whew ! Got in and I sat down along side the newly installed rear tire. And I
happened to look at my work.

My eyes went right to the ROTATION ARROW on the new wide white wall tire.
And guess what I done ~ THE ARROW WAS POINTING IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTIONG :small3d031:

So off came the tire. I had to SWITCH the spocket to the other side of the tire hub and the same for the rotor disc. I wanted to CRY.

All the work for what. It will NEVER happen again. I've learned my lesson(s) with pain so it buns into my thick skull.

Everything is in place now. All I have to do is ADJUST the axle in the swingarm.
By dancing around with: those two locker washer on either side of the swingarm.

I DONE :D

Try putting a jack under the tire and raising it up into the swing arm ...works great for me .once you get it high enough every thing slips in place.

Back