free website stats program True Duals, Stock-ish Pipes... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

True Duals, Stock-ish Pipes...

Not so much if you have installed fueler to adjust mixture properly.

My bike would start making a ticking noise when it got hot. The shop said it was an exhaust leak. They could not get the leak to stop. Said pipe was warped where the gasket seals. One of the options they gave me was installing true duals. That is what I did. Bike now runs good and sounds good. They did not mention installing a "fueler" to adjust the mixture.
I have read several posts saying that true duals should not be installed with stock mufflers and I am starting to worry I may damage my bike.

My bike would start making a ticking noise when it got hot. The shop said it was an exhaust leak. They could not get the leak to stop. Said pipe was warped where the gasket seals. One of the options they gave me was installing true duals. That is what I did. Bike now runs good and sounds good. They did not mention installing a "fueler" to adjust the mixture.
I have read several posts saying that true duals should not be installed with stock mufflers and I am starting to worry I may damage my bike.

The theory of O.E. mufflers with true duals is the restrictiveness of the O.E. mufflers and I believe that is all..
You really should consider a fueler to get the most out of your modifications.

The theory of O.E. mufflers with true duals is the restrictiveness of the O.E. mufflers and I believe that is all..
You really should consider a fueler to get the most out of your modifications.

Thanks for the advice. I will look into installing a fueler. In a earlier post on this subject jimharvey1 said that the left muffler was built with a restriction in it. Should I consider replacing mufflers or should installing a fueler be sufficient.

Thanks for the advice. I will look into installing a fueler. In a earlier post on this subject jimharvey1 said that the left muffler was built with a restriction in it. Should I consider replacing mufflers or should installing a fueler be sufficient.

To get the most out of your true duels you may want to replace the restrictive mufflers as well. Adding a fueler with any mod is a good idea, Harleys tend to run to lean due to EPA regulations so any mods to exhaust and air intake will lean them out even more.

I have an '06 Ultra that is bone stock. I would like to replace the exhaust with true duals, slip-on's, stage one Air cleaner and a Dobeck.

I've acquired some true dual headpipes already in great shape. I do not know what the brand is at the moment. My main questions are can I install these duals and pipes without disturbing the A/F mix until I can get a stage one and Dobeck installed?

The smart move would be to acquire some slipons that are the same brand as your head pipe; a "package" system. You can run this way without the Dobeck but if budget allows, the Dobeck will enhance the modification. When you get around to installing the SE A/C, you can tweak the Dobeck again to "tune" to the new configuration.

Installing the TDs and slipons without the Dobeck, you will likely experience some decal popping that can be eliminated with the Dobeck.:s

Do not put a set of true dual headpipes on with stock HD mufflers. The stock headpipe with the "Y" pipe on the rear cylinder puts about 70 - 80% of the exhaust out the right muffler while putting 20 - 30% out the left. The left muffler is designed with a blockage and if you install a true dual head pipe set where 100% of the rear cylinder exhaust goes through that restriction, it will overheat the rear cylinder and the left muffler. Take a broom handle and slide it up inside the left and right mufflers. You will see the restriction I'm referring to.

I considered putting on the adapter from Fullsac to convert the stock head pipe to a true dual on my 07 Ultra but when I inquired and was told this (on a forum) I didn't have the coin for slip-ons AND the true dual conversion adapter so I just left it alone.
I have a 2012 limited the mufflers are identical, no Restricter plates internal pipe crimped, I guess the question is if both are identical how can one side receive more exhaust than the other, stock Headpipes have been replaced with Rhinehart true dual, have a cobra fuel management system, I believe that HD did this when the CAT was relocated to address heat issues

H.D. has changed the left/right muffler configuration (stock and Screaming Eagle) several times through the years. My '07 Electra Glide has SE slip ons with identical removable baffles. The reason the right side of the stock system gets more flow is that the pipe to the left side is at a right angle to the nice curve you see coming out of the head. When I had the stock head pipes (same SE slip ons) I could put my bare hand on the end of the left muffler after riding. There was also some rust on the inside, due to moisture not getting burned off. I put true dual head pipes on with the same slip ons. I have not had it on a dyno, but I did lose a tiny bit of low end, only noticeable when starting off in 1st. Gas mileage has not changed at all.

I’ve got a question. I have a 2020 softail slim 107 that I want to put a pair of V&H pipes. I trolled Kijiji and found a nice pair of second hand Eliminator 300’s off of a 2018 Fat Boy 114. I go to put them on and they won’t slide up the last 1/2 inch to fully seat. Any tricks or am I missing something bigger?

o
H.D. has changed the left/right muffler configuration (stock and Screaming Eagle) several times through the years. My '07 Electra Glide has SE slip ons with identical removable baffles. The reason the right side of the stock system gets more flow is that the pipe to the left side is at a right angle to the nice curve you see coming out of the head. When I had the stock head pipes (same SE slip ons) I could put my bare hand on the end of the left muffler after riding. There was also some rust on the inside, due to moisture not getting burned off. I put true dual head pipes on with the same slip ons. I have not had it on a dyno, but I did lose a tiny bit of low end, only noticeable when starting off in 1st. Gas mileage has not changed at all.
on my 2012 both head pipes ran through the cat, replaced those with rhinehart extreme true duals, I was thinking of going back to the stock mufflers to hopefully get a deeper tone out of it, with the exception of the crimped inner pipes, that are probably 6-8 inches long they are empty no packing etc, just don't know if that would be advisable or not, I do have a cobra fi 2000 fuel management system

Back