free website stats program True Duals, Stock-ish Pipes... | Harley Davidson Forums

True Duals, Stock-ish Pipes...

propflux01

I have an '06 Ultra that is bone stock. I would like to replace the exhaust with true duals, slip-on's, stage one Air cleaner and a Dobeck.

Since this is going to take some time ($) the parts will be ordered as time goes by. I've acquired some true dual headpipes already in great shape. I do not know what the brand is at the moment. I've also got an extra set of stock pipes. The pipes each have two plugs in them, with the front pipe plugs drilled out, the rear plugs unmolested.

My main questions are can I install these duals and pipes without disturbing the A/F mix until I can get a stage one and Dobeck installed? I understand I can install exhaust and things are OK, but once I install stage one breather kit I have to richen mixture via Dobeck or other tuner. Does this also apply with the true dual headpipes?

Do not put a set of true dual headpipes on with stock HD mufflers. The stock headpipe with the "Y" pipe on the rear cylinder puts about 70 - 80% of the exhaust out the right muffler while putting 20 - 30% out the left. The left muffler is designed with a blockage and if you install a true dual head pipe set where 100% of the rear cylinder exhaust goes through that restriction, it will overheat the rear cylinder and the left muffler. Take a broom handle and slide it up inside the left and right mufflers. You will see the restriction I'm referring to.

I considered putting on the adapter from Fullsac to convert the stock head pipe to a true dual on my 07 Ultra but when I inquired and was told this (on a forum) I didn't have the coin for slip-ons AND the true dual conversion adapter so I just left it alone.

I had wondered that myself, but looking into the pipes they are identical to each other internally as far as I can see. The pipes are from a 2002 Ultra, wasn't sure if they were different or what..

If the "broom handle" goes all the way through, you should be OK. I remember somebody suggesting using earlier model mufflers as they didn't have the restriction but can't remember what year they said it was added. If the broom handle goes in the left side and stops, while going completely in the right side, there is a issue.

Well, that's just it. I understood that supposedly there was a difference internally between right and left mufflers, which is why I had asked originally if this would work. However, these are identical in every way except how they mount. There are two plugs in each pipe, both exact same distance apart from front and rear of the pipe. both baffle tubes are cut in same way, with same amount of holes. They came off a 2002 Ultra.

???

I have my answer. it seems after looking around most of the day on searches that the '07 and up pipes are not identical. The '05 and below pipes Are identical.

Thanx for the inputs!

Just an Update:

As I was surfing around finding my answers, I came across another question. I noticed most info I got was '05 and down are identical, '07 and up are Left and Right different. So what about '06?

So... Took my 06 pipes off this morning, and low and behold, there is a Catalytic converter in the right pipe. left one is identical to the '05 and below. I had the impression that '07 and up pipes' Cats were located in the headpipes. I guess this would explain why it seemed this bike ran so much hotter than my '03.

Seems I learned something today!

:)

Just an Update:

So... Took my 06 pipes off this morning, and low and behold, there is a Catalytic converter in the right pipe. left one is identical to the '05 and below. I had the impression that '07 and up pipes' Cats were located in the headpipes. I guess this would explain why it seemed this bike ran so much hotter than my '03.

Seems I learned something today!

:)

Are the cats in the headpipes or the mufflers?
I have an '06 classic and did not see cats in either the headpipes or the mufflers. The left and right stock mufflers are the same.

Do not put a set of true dual headpipes on with stock HD mufflers. The stock headpipe with the "Y" pipe on the rear cylinder puts about 70 - 80% of the exhaust out the right muffler while putting 20 - 30% out the left. The left muffler is designed with a blockage and if you install a true dual head pipe set where 100% of the rear cylinder exhaust goes through that restriction, it will overheat the rear cylinder and the left muffler. Take a broom handle and slide it up inside the left and right mufflers. You will see the restriction I'm referring to.

I considered putting on the adapter from Fullsac to convert the stock head pipe to a true dual on my 07 Ultra but when I inquired and was told this (on a forum) I didn't have the coin for slip-ons AND the true dual conversion adapter so I just left it alone.

I have a 07 Ultra Classic. When I bought the bike the original stock mufflers had been replaced with mufflers that came off a CVO Ultra. I recently had true duals installed on the bike with the CVO mufflers. Should I expect problems?

I have a 07 Ultra Classic. When I bought the bike the original stock mufflers had been replaced with mufflers that came off a CVO Ultra. I recently had true duals installed on the bike with the CVO mufflers. Should I expect problems?

Not so much if you have installed fueler to adjust mixture properly.

Back