free website stats program Truck | Harley Davidson Forums

Truck

bigcletus

I'm needing to buy a truck to haul a trailer (RV type, non-5th wheel) around that I plan on buying next year. The truck also needs room for my 07 RG in the box. I'm kinda struck on the Toyota Tundra Limited. My question is, does the bike have to fit 100% into the box, or can the tailgate support the rear wheel ?
Thanks

Another thing to consider. I put my Dyna in my Chevy S10, the r. wheel sat just on the edge of the bed, BUT when the wheels rolled across the tailgate while loading, it buckled the inner gate metal a little bit which forced the tailgate latch to bow the sheet metal on the outside. Nice crease. Even with the old metal hinges, I wouldn't carry any substantial weight on the tail gate.

I know when the newest model Tundras first came out the tailgate was not that strong. I used to roadrace and someone I know had a new Tundra and tailgate buckled having a sportbike rear end on it and this bike only weighed 357 lbs. I always used an enclosed trailer for hauling my race bikes and after his issues he did as well. They may have changed the design of it now since it has been two years but I am not sure.

I have a 3/4" sheet of plywood with a wheel chock set up that I slide in my 6' bed Chevy.The plywood is more than enough to distribute the load away from the gate.Just make sure your cables holding the gate are in good shape.

Cant imagine towing a box trailer with your gate down being a good idea.Could work, but Id check your turning radius between the truck/trailer carefuly before dropping the gate.

I have a 3/4" sheet of plywood with a wheel chock set up that I slide in my 6' bed Chevy.The plywood is more than enough to distribute the load away from the gate.Just make sure your cables holding the gate are in good shape.

Cant imagine towing a box trailer with your gate down being a good idea.Could work, but Id check your turning radius between the truck/trailer carefuly before dropping the gate.

Just so I was not confusing you, I tow my enclosed trailer with a Landcruiser not with a pick up with the gate down and my friend just bought an enclosed trailer so nothing is in the bed and the gate stays up (everything is safer this way from the vandals of society). The sheet of plywood would work to distribue the weight as well, as you are doing.

Maybe a toy hauler would be a better fit? Get a camper/trailer and put your bike in there for traveling. Would be safer for the bike also.

AJ

Back