free website stats program Transmission won't shift (5 speed-twin cam) | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission won't shift (5 speed-twin cam)

after talking to the HD shop again, we think it may be broke and slid around,, I give up for now. and just want to ride it befor the snow flys. so I did a fast fix for now... and it works.... take a look.

got ya on that..... only 2 thinks I think I did right.... one the guy was a Harely Tec. and the is my cuzz........ he would make it right,,, But he needed the money to move out of state....... going to be a road trip next spring... 4 sure...
IMG_2992.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If that spring is broken, the pieces that came off may be in the transmission.

If a piece of that spring gets in between the gears it will trash the gears. This is not uncommon...

I highly recommend replacement of the spring before you run the bike.

I understand that there may be a broken spring part in the bottom of the trans, the spring seems to be all intact. But to just make sure I'm going to pull off the side of the transmission and run a magnet through the bottom of the transmission. I am thinking of when I do pull it a part I might as well put 6 speed gear set in it.
I have ran the bike enough now to know what other problems there are with it. Seems to be some top end noise in the motor. But I have also noticed that both of my other twin cam motors sounded different between the two.
Thank you for your advice, Gary

I understand that there may be a broken spring part in the bottom of the trans, the spring seems to be all intact. But to just make sure I'm going to pull off the side of the transmission and run a magnet through the bottom of the transmission. I am thinking of when I do pull it a part I might as well put 6 speed gear set in it.
I have ran the bike enough now to know what other problems there are with it. Seems to be some top end noise in the motor. But I have also noticed that both of my other twin cam motors sounded different between the two.
Thank you for your advice, Gary

JUST A NOTE ON TRNNY 6 SPEED:

I put a 6 speed gear set in my 2000 dyna about in 2002 or so...

I bot it out of jpcycles with heavy trap door on as a unit...

BACK then i paid @ over 1000$ for the set

on of the mods talked about it here on the site .... HE was putting one in his bike... mentioned about 800$ .... IT is the same one I put into my bike...

I just posted back(day or two ago) to a tranny thread .... IF you are interested in reading? try BUBBIE all post by and see...

I put over 60,000 miles on the 6 speed gear set and NO PROBLEMS....and 117,000 on that 2000FXDS built to the HILT engine... I also use ALL redline products.... the shockproof heavy for tranny is what i believe gave me trouble free longevity.......

I did a special set-up on the shifting forks you might want info. on.

signed....BUBBIE

Back