free website stats program Transmission Oil | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission Oil

Hoop.....He's referring to gear oil, not engine. It would still hurt as I would need about 4 quarts for the truck, but not quite as bad.

Oops, your right. I guess I will have to save that post for about 4-5 years down the road. Maybe then engine oil will be $18 a quart.:p

At these rates, heck some day it may be cheaper to replace the bearings than the oil.

But the OP did not say it was Spectro 6 speed. He said "Beside it was one for $17.95 that said it was for SUV" which I understood at a Mobile 1 oil for SUV.

That did not make sense to me. Spectro I know runs $18/quart,, just never knew of a mobil1 SUV @ that price.

May be the way I read the original post.

I was looking at Mobil 1 trans oil at a Auto Zone last month. They had 75w90 for about $10, and right next to it was Mobil1 75w140 for $17 (I didn't notice if it said SUV). I just thought they had made a price mistake between the 2. I wasn't buying, just looking so I didn't ask why.
Now I'm gonna have to stop in another Zone and see why there is such a big $ diff. between the two.

I'm going to ride back over there today and ask them what the difference is. I will let you all know what I find out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, here's the deal. The $18 oil is 75W140, and the cheaper oil is 75W90. Can you guys advise me on which one to use. I came home empty handed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Either one will do the job well and is determined by the temps where you ride.

The Spectro would be a better choice. I went from the M1 gear oil to spectro and it's a bettet choice IMO.

OK, here's the deal. The $18 oil is 75W140, and the cheaper oil is 75W90. Can you guys advise me on which one to use. I came home empty handed.

I'm using Mobil1 75/90 in my '07 and it seems to be doing the job. I still wonder why the big price difference. Mobil 1 20W50 isn't more than 10W30.
I know trans. oils are graded on a different scale, now I got something else to google.

I just replaced the transmission oil in my 03 Fatboy with Redline Shockproof Heavy. What a difference it makes. I wished I had done this sooner.

I have used spectro and have been using lucas 85-140 little stiff in the am first shift but after that like butter and i think the trans is quieter than with the spectro ..

Gonna try another brand here shortly that is full synth to see how it is

Back