free website stats program Transmission Issue, whats next | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission Issue, whats next

The wobble in the clutch hub in the video is normal.

I believe the problem with the OP`s bike is that the pulley nut has come loose.

Another way to immobilize the clutch hub in order to loosen the clutch hub nut (also the pulley nut):

Remove the transmission top cover and shift drum.

Move the shift forks around until the transmission is in two gears at the same time, the transmission shafts will now be immobilized.

Re: Next step(s) Clutch/trans/bearing(s)?

My guess is the inner splines of the front pulley are stripped.

Got the bike back from the shop. It was the transmission sprocket.
Job only cost $645. $148 for the sprocket alone.
Would have cost me $550 minimum by the time I purchased the tools and parts.
So now it's done by a real shop with real people by real a mechanic with a warranty. Great adjustment on the clutch BTW, shifts smooth as silk.

I'm riding therefore I'm happy.

Thanks for all the responses.
The End.

I wish I could learn my lessons- always better to take it to the PROS....
I go to tinkering and inevitably will tear something else up...

Here is an example- I posted elsewhere:
I was hearing some clunking when I shifted gears. It will be two weeks before I can get the girl into the shop- so I thought, I am just going to take off the primary outer cover and see if anything has come lose or broken - wrong decision.... Since one of the bolts is directly in line with the footboards, had to figure a way to get floorboards off- so after figuring out to lean the bike to the right against a floor jack- I proceeded to remove the floorboards- only to strip the torx slot in tow of the bolts....
Well not to be defeated- I thought I will go ahead and take off the primary oil change cover plated- low and behold- I stripped out one of those torx slots....so I drilled a small hole and then a larger hole to get the head to pop off.... Worked great- until I couldn't get the bolt out of the hole... So I went to the depot- got an extractor ..drilled a hole into the bolt - stuck the extractor and twisted with vice grips- snap .... the extractor broke off inside the drilled bolt hole.... so I have made matters worse.... the shop will have to do a lot of work just to crank the Harley to HEAR what the sound is .....
I cant win for losing

I wish I could learn my lessons- always better to take it to the PROS....
I go to tinkering and inevitably will tear something else up...

Here is an example- I posted elsewhere:
I was hearing some clunking when I shifted gears. It will be two weeks before I can get the girl into the shop- so I thought, I am just going to take off the primary outer cover and see if anything has come lose or broken - wrong decision.... Since one of the bolts is directly in line with the footboards, had to figure a way to get floorboards off- so after figuring out to lean the bike to the right against a floor jack- I proceeded to remove the floorboards- only to strip the torx slot in tow of the bolts....
Well not to be defeated- I thought I will go ahead and take off the primary oil change cover plated- low and behold- I stripped out one of those torx slots....so I drilled a small hole and then a larger hole to get the head to pop off.... Worked great- until I couldn't get the bolt out of the hole... So I went to the depot- got an extractor ..drilled a hole into the bolt - stuck the extractor and twisted with vice grips- snap .... the extractor broke off inside the drilled bolt hole.... so I have made matters worse.... the shop will have to do a lot of work just to crank the Harley to HEAR what the sound is .....
I cant win for losing

If I am reading this right, you got the bolts or at least the heads off the bad ones? Did you get the cover off? If you did apply heat around the broken bolts and use a vise grips, work it back and forth and remove slowly

Back