free website stats program Transmission Issue, whats next | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission Issue, whats next

tadiorio

I am debugging an issue on my 03 FLHTCI and took this video today. Could this be what you are describing. I also held my finger on the drive gear(belt) and felt it moving as well. My gut tells me it is the main shaft bearing.

I will continue with my challenge in another thread.

I don't have enough posts yet so I can't post the link.
If you enter "video of wobble in a 2003 flhtci" in the search bar on youtube you should see it.
It's only 9 secs long.

Hope this helps.

Re: noise in primary

from what I could see in the video it could be the clutch basket bearing or the washer behind the clutch basket is missing where it slides on to the main shaft but don't rule out the mainshaft bearing especially if there is tranny noise..

Next step(s) Clutch/trans/bearing(s)?

Here’s my situation with my 2003 FLHTCI.
I am not a hard rider.
58K miles and had been running flawlessly.
AMSOIL 20W-50 in engine and primary, 75W-110 Synthetic Extreme Pressure Lubricant GL5 in trans.

Bike started making a weird hollow clunking early this season. Almost sounded like there were no fluids. The noise occurs when:
1) Down shift through 2nd and 1st gear.
2) Roll off throttle in 2nd or 1st gear.

Started to notice or imagine slipping in clutch: RPM @ 2K doing 50 MPH in 5th.

Last week I took an uneventful ride to grocery store.

Heading back home l left the parking lot and caught a light.
Take off smoothly, shift to 2nd, roll on the throttle and horrible grinding.
I try shifting through all the gears to see if there is any difference but same result.
I was able to limp home, without stopping, by staying below 2K RPM. If I revved higher it would slip/grind

Fortunately I only stopped rolling when I made it home. The bike would/could not get going again. I could let the clutch completely out in any gear and it would just emit a grinding noise.

Drained primary and recovered virtually every drop of normal capacity. Less than 5K miles on the oil.
No metal on the drain plug.
Refilled with fresh oil and did a ‘by the book’ clutch adjustment, twice with the same result; full release on clutch, slight nudge forward and grinding in all gears.

Removed primary cover and pulled the clutch pack, pictures attached. Upside down, sorry.
Spotless. No scoring, bluing or other obvious damage to metal or fiber discs.
No sludge or debris.
I have to measure the discs to see I they are just at end of life.

Out of curiosity I tried turning the main shaft with the trans in gear and the rear wheel turns, in all gears. So I think it’s reasonably safe to conclude that the trans is ok. BTW, the fluid level is normal.

With the trans in neutral I tried spinning the main shaft/basket. I noticed a pulsing in the primary chain. I reached back to the main drive pulley and it was pulsing/wobbling as well. I took video. Search for "video of wobble in a 2003 flhtci" on youtube you can see the video. It’s only 9 secs.

So now I wonder what I am dealing with.
Are the clutch discs ok or do they need to be replaced (measuring will tell)
Even so, do I have a bearing/bushing issue with the pulsing/wobbling?

What to do? Ideas or recommendations?

Thanks, Tom

Attachments

• Primary 1.jpg
    Primary 1.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Primary 2.jpg
    Primary 2.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Primary 3.jpg
    Primary 3.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Primary 4.jpg
    Primary 4.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Primary 5.jpg
    Primary 5.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 38
Re: Next step(s) Clutch/trans/bearing(s)?

Inspect your drive belt and pulleys. Give a little prying on the front one and look for movement.

Re: noise in primary

I am debugging an issue on my 03 FLHTCI and took this video today. Could this be what you are describing. I also held my finger on the drive gear(belt) and felt it moving as well. My gut tells me it is the main shaft bearing.

I will continue with my challenge in another thread.

I don't have enough posts yet so I can't post the link.
If you enter "video of wobble in a 2003 flhtci" in the search bar on youtube you should see it.
It's only 9 secs long.

Hope this helps.

It is here... :newsmile01:

Video of wobble in a 2003 FLHTCI primary - YouTube

The bike would/could not get going again. I could let the clutch completely out in any gear and it would just emit a grinding noise.

Please clarify.

Are you saying that you can put the trans in any gear, let the clutch out and the bike will not move forward but just make a grinding noise?

Please clarify.

Are you saying that you can put the trans in any gear, let the clutch out and the bike will not move forward but just make a grinding noise?

Yes, there is a momentary subtle nudge forward but then grinding.

That leads me to believe it is just time to replace the pack. I still need to get a calipers and measure the discs to verify. But then I saw the 'pulsing' in the chain and felt the drive sprocket move as well. Makes me think bearing(s). Or perhaps the bearings/bushing(s) are just coincidental and just need to be done.

It doesn't make sense though that so little movement would cause the trans gears to disconnect in all gears.

My guess is the inner splines of the front pulley are stripped.

Well that would really stink. Why it would strip all of a sudden is a mystery.
Guess I gotta add a few tools to the ole tool chest.

Last edited by a moderator:

My guess is the inner splines of the front pulley are stripped.

That was where I was headed; needed to confirm what the OP was saying. A slipping clutch would not exhibit the symptoms the OP is describing, nor would a failed clutch hub or main shaft bearing. Not saying that those bearings don't need replacement; if the inner splines are gone, those two bearings should be replaced.

Back