free website stats program Transmission Info (6 speeds) | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission Info (6 speeds)

New 2012 FLHTK Limited 119 miles Trans is rattling in neutral. Any info on this?

Sure it is the tranny????

Sounds more like the Primary Chain from here. It will make the Rattle IF the adjuster IS Not tightening it up....

New off the show room floor, My 09 FLHR needed to be "Jostled"
In gear riding (I like 2 or 3), with throttle open enough to PULL while the rear brake it TAPPED hard... This produces the tension on the top of chain and the bottom will (or should) tighten.....

Many new bikes need to be Reminded that this tensioner in the primary IS automatic...:D :small3d023:

Give above a try and report back..

You know all the WARNING Labels Needed Here.. Don't side the bike and wreck the bike And Yadayada..

signed....BUBBIE

I just put my '09 Road Glide in the shop, making noise when in neutral but would go away when in gear. Heard from the shop, transmission main shaft and bearings trashed. I have 40000 mikes on bike been running Redline shock proof since new. Extended Warranty covering it thank goodness

My 2011 Heritage rattles bad in 6th. at around 65mph. When your throttling not as noisy but when your giving just enough throttle to maintain speed it's bad... 5th will do it at around 45. Give just enough throttle to start slowing speeding up the noise goes away... Thing is getting the Harley to here it...

I experienced the stuck chain tensioner this week. While sitting at idle there was a loud clicking noise coming from the primary area. I feared the worst and suspected the gear box. The tech removed the cover and the chain was obviosly loose. He clicked it back into place. The noise was the chain hitting one of the threaded bolt mouldings in the case. It had worn about 2mm from the moulding. I have been running Red line HD primary oil in the primary and it may be too thick for the sliding adjuster. Gone back to Formula +

My 2010 EGC transmission main shaft went at 42000 kilometers I had been complaining about primary noise from the first service but it turned out it was the Main shaft in the transmission. Buy the extended warranty if you can. Ext warranty fixed and sounds great now! I had been running the amsoil gear oil but it was recommended to go to dinosaur for this and the primary, which I have done.

Does anybody know if the new models are still having the same problem, or have the upgraded the bearings??? I'm not looking forward to buying a brand new bike only to find out later that my tranny is going to go out.
Thanks.

Very interesting post. My 2008 FXSTC had this loud "whirring" noise in the primary if I pulled in the clutch, put it in first, took it out first, and released clutch handle. Started at 28K miles. Got the bike back with a replaced main drive gear, inner primary bearing, new clutch assembly because of a missing tooth on clutch hub. I had been running SYN3 in all holes - now it's Redline in the tranny and Mobil 1 V-Twin 20-50 in the other two. Thankfully, this $2200 repair bill is all covered under extended warranty. Thank you, God :worthy

Last edited:
Does anybody know if the new models are still having the same problem, or have the upgraded the bearings??? I'm not looking forward to buying a brand new bike only to find out later that my tranny is going to go out.
Thanks.
I recently helped a friend rebuild his tranny on an '07 Ultra Classic with 51k on it. His main drive gear bearing was out along with some teeth in the clutch hub. I was curious as to a bearing upgrade also because I have a '12 Ultra. I checked online for the OEM part # for the 2 years and they have the same #8967 per Ronnie's OEM parts finder. There is no letter after part #. Maybe they don't do that for bearings because there is no production year either. I am going to assume they are the same old bearing.We also found the grey sludge stuff in the side door. By the way I called George's Tools and got the tools I needed for the job. I was very pleased with the quality of his tools and they worked very well also. I had tools for a 5 speeds but 6 speed stuff is different,wouldn't you know it.

My 2010 EGC transmission main shaft went at 42000 kilometers I had been complaining about primary noise from the first service but it turned out it was the Main shaft in the transmission. Buy the extended warranty if you can. Ext warranty fixed and sounds great now! I had been running the amsoil gear oil but it was recommended to go to dinosaur for this and the primary, which I have done.

Yep I better check into the extended warranty... It's gonna be hard to get them to hear it even though it's very loud to me. I wanted them to put it on the Dino so they could stand right there beside it then I could get it to make the noise and go from there... They weren't to open to the idea... I feel sure it'll wait to be heard or go out after the warranty...

Last edited:
Back