free website stats program Transmission Info (6 speeds) | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission Info (6 speeds)

It is Kinda Like HD's approach to LUBE......
(backed away from saying it now days because of Tranny Problems showing up)
(Loose worn rattling bearings and BLUE over heated shifting forks are just some of the tell-tail signs)

HD Saying to use their SIN3 for all Three Holes.... What a JOKE that was.

YES, many still use it there and swear by it.....(later Swearing at it)

The lubrication and COOLING of Lube used in the tranny unit is NOT accomplished with ENGINE OIL whether it be synthetic or Partial synthetic oil....

The other day when I stopped and talked with the Head Mechanic at an HD Shop.

We BOTH had a laugh at the Owners who still Believe HD and USE one OIL (Especially not GEAR LUBE) in their bikes... He saying that WAS one of HD's BIG MISTAKES and done for $$$$$ not for quality.

YES, MOST tranny's do often go the full two or three years without problems , using Sin3, but show up earlier on the bikes, when Riders RIDE there bikes and put a lot of MILES on them.

Many who Casually ride there bikes 1500/2500 miles in a year Seldom hear or have problems with Sin3 in their tranny... Lasting MANY years longer than the ones who do 10,000 miles a year and more.

Heck,,,,,OLIVE OIL (extra virgin:D) would last as a Tranny Lube in many bikes Not ridden hard and long.

Even HD's Mechanics KNOW the tranny uses GEAR OIL not ENGINE OIL.....:newsmile100::bigsmiley15::bigsmiley15::newsmile100:

My Knowledge on PARTS changed/improved, is; IF there is a change or modification of/with Parts, Bearings included, from HD's distributors OR manufacturer, the Part WILL have a "suffix" added to it or in some cases, a totally different part number...

signed....BUBBIE

My 2010 EGC transmission main shaft went at 42000 kilometers I had been complaining about primary noise from the first service but it turned out it was the Main shaft in the transmission. Buy the extended warranty if you can. Ext warranty fixed and sounds great now! I had been running the amsoil gear oil but it was recommended to go to dinosaur for this and the primary, which I have done.

How did you convince them of the problem in the end? My dealer is telling me ESP won't pay for any diagnostic so I have to wait for something to fail before they'll fix it. I'm having noise from the tranny sprocket and a rpm specific vibration after a rear wheel change left the belt tension way too tight.

How did you convince them of the problem in the end? My dealer is telling me ESP won't pay for any diagnostic so I have to wait for something to fail before they'll fix it. I'm having noise from the tranny sprocket and a rpm specific vibration after a rear wheel change left the belt tension way too tight.

Did You loosen the tension?

One of the worst things I can tell you IS EVERY time I have had another mechanic work on my bikes,THEY Always seem Not to be done the way I want them..

Tire replacement on the 09 from the selling dealer, Had to ask them to loosen the belt after I tested Their recommended tension...

Their Mechanic, a little Miffed by having to re-do it... Grumbling,,,Saying That's the OLD School way...

ME saying Look at me and you will see the OLD School way comes from MANY years of doing it the Old Way,,,, My OLD Way...

I Have never had a problem with a belt or tranny,,,,, setting up my belt ALWAYS Looser than the HD folks say.......... Hmmmmm ??? Maybe it is because of the old school ways.:newsmile100:

signed....BUBBIE

I had belt noises that my dealer fixed with some compound on the belt, and in the discusion around that they said when the belt temp increases the tension also increases, part of the importance of setting it proper-with it cool and a little loose. I don't have the tool that is recommended, so do others have an alternative method that works?
Harley

I had belt noises that my dealer fixed with some compound on the belt, and in the discusion around that they said when the belt temp increases the tension also increases, part of the importance of setting it proper-with it cool and a little loose. I don't have the tool that is recommended, so do others have an alternative method that works?
Harley

I use MY fingers to Press upward on the belt Looking at HD's adjustment markings and Keeping between 3/8 but NOT over a Half inch....

I push it up and it does't take a measured pressure when I do it...

"Old School"

I have gone thru Many dealierships, and even on one of our HDT rides, stopping at an HD dealer, I always get a Kick out of FEELING the belts on the New bikes Just to SEE....:newsmile100:

Many times finding the Too Tight for my liking...

I Have rode away on my old FXDS after a tire/tyre change and Heard Noise and Immediately loosened the belt. As you say, It Does Tighten up when Hot is correct.

IF my belt HOT moves 3/16 to 1/4 inch and Not taking a LOT of pressure I've got it right for me.

Sitting on a bike also tightenes the belt, so two-up, the feel should change form when no one is on the bike.

NOT HARLEY APPROVED AND NOT INTENDED TO BE,,,,

Just like ALL MY POST....:s

Caps INTENDED.....

signed....BUBBIE

I bought the proper Harley tool to set the tension on my dyna as it seemed too tight and the belt would squeal when the bike was hot
Set the tension by the book still felt too tight and would still squeal
Threw the tension tool in a box and set the tension by feel much better and no squeal

Brian

I bought the proper Harley tool to set the tension on my dyna as it seemed too tight and the belt would squeal when the bike was hot
Set the tension by the book still felt too tight and would still squeal
Threw the tension tool in a box and set the tension by feel much better and no squeal

Brian
Because I don't have the tool I always did it by feel, by sensing what it was to start then copying that. So I did it that way too but my feel might be wrong. So far no noticable problems or abnormalities.

Back