free website stats program Trans Oil | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Trans Oil

I haven't put much time in on Sportsters to give you a knowledgeable reply there from experience but most better gear lubes should do a good job in there. Spectro the makers of the oil that I use also have another gear lube in the same range that doesn't specify 6 speeds, not that I feel the 6 speed Spectro wouldn't do a good job. Mainly use a gear lube and not an engine oil of your choice.

I've been all over the North west looking for that stuff, I finally had to have someone order it........WOW!!! must be good stuff for $20.00 quart.:shock I guess I'll find out:rider

Glider..Have you ever used Royal Purple?....i tryed a few and found it to be very good...in the Transmission I'm speakin of..

Never used it myself but have heard it was a good choice. I'm stuck on hte spectro now since I tried it. Much better feeling over the Mobil1 I was using.

I've been all over the North west looking for that stuff, I finally had to have someone order it........WOW!!! must be good stuff for $20.00 quart.:shock I guess I'll find out:rider

I get it at the local dealer that stocks it. It costs $16.95 minus 10% here.

I don't think you'll be disappointed when you get it, plus it's only one quart needed for the trans. Let me know what you think of it.

Oil came in today,I picked it up and drained my amsoil,just waiting for my pipes to cool down to filler up.:D:rider:41:

Don't worry I will. One thing I was wondering, the amsoil is 75/90 I think and this is 75/140, how do you think colder temps will affect performance? Temps here in Eastern Washington aren't going to get over 45 to much when Nov. hits. By Jan, we'll be lucky if it gets above 30.:coffee

Being a multi viscosity, I really don't think you will see a difference between the two with that small of a difference. I ran Mobil 1 75/90 and then switched to 75/140 and really saw no noticeable difference between the two.

We see temps about the same as what you see here and I have used the Redline shockproof heavy 75/250 and in the colder temps when it was actually too cold to ride the only difference I saw was the first block or two the shifting was a bit stiffer but after that all was OK then. Once the engine heats up and the trans gets hot, it thins out due to the multi viscosity index.

Last edited:
:eam I LIKE IT, :worthy, I really didn't think I'de be able to tell a difference:dknow but I think I can, it seems to shift smoother, especially Down shifting or going into first. It also seems to go into N. easier:D, I like it and it's Red, Amsoil is the same as the engine oil and also a little hard to see on the Dipstick, plus if theres a leak in the Trans. I'll see it.
I've only put a couple of hundred miles on, but I thinks the noise in fifth may have mellowed out, that could also be in my head, but I think I'll keep using the Spectro. Thanx Glider

Glad you like it. Those were my first impressions also, I was skeptical before I rode it after putting it in if I would actually see a difference. Easier to find neutral and better and smoother shifting , even easier than the Mobil 1 I was using. It just seems to be overall smoother to me also.

Biggest improvement that I think is when you start up and drop it in gear, sometimes it is noiseless completely, just clicks in without the clunk.

I'm staying with it.

Last edited:
Back