free website stats program Trans oil question | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Trans oil question

Dennis Kirk is another option for ordering. They carry many different lines of oils and shipping is free once you reach a certain dollar amount.

You might want to try Redline heavy shockproof - I've been using it and it seems to shift smoother and it's also more quiet - I've had real good luck with all the Redline products that I've used.

I'm new here and to Harleys so take my words with caution. I removed the formula + from the trany and found what I would consider too much metal deposits on the magnetic plug. I put in the Spectro 6 speed and when it came time to dump the trany fluid again I found very little metal deposits on the plug.
I refilled the trany with the Red Line Shock Proof Heavy. Shifting is less clunky and finding nutral was easier.

Curious....
Formula+ and you had "excessive" metal shaving.
Then went to Spectro 6-speed with very little shavings. (Sounds like an improvement.)
Why did you go to Red Line or are you just trying out various tranny fluids?

I've been running Spectro 6-speed since I got my '07 and it always drains clear and metal-free.
Shifting is good and I've never heard that gear whine that some talk about.

I've been running Spectro 6-speed since I got my '07 and it always drains clear and metal-free.

The proof is in the draining. If you find no metal, that's the way it should be if the lube is doing it's job.

Curious....
Formula+ and you had "excessive" metal shaving.
Then went to Spectro 6-speed with very little shavings. (Sounds like an improvement.)
Why did you go to Red Line or are you just trying out various tranny fluids?

Yup, checking them out. I have both in the garage now. The Spectro is easy for me to get so I may end up going back to it for good.

Tried AMSOIL in all 3 holes at the recommendation of a local HD dealership; Primary seemd to run cooler but there was a noticeable clutch slip when starting out up hill or under heavy load (I occassionally pull a Timeout camper) and the neuteral to 1st gear clunk was louder. Have tried AMSOIL 75-140 gear lube in the Transmission which reduced the clunk but switched back to Formula+ for the primary as there is no noticable Clutch "slip" when starting out. An independant dealer recommended I give Red Line products a try which I did, I will say I was very happy with Red Line Synethetic oil, Primary fluid and Shockproof Transmisson oil but they are quite spendy.
Both the 06 Dyna and the 11 Ultra Limited get the following:
Engine-Amsoil 20-50
Transmission-Red Line HD Shock Proof
Primary-Formula+

Back