free website stats program Trans Lube Question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Trans Lube Question

Even the recommended changes are too high IMO for any conditions.

50K on forks is just ludicrous considering the condition of the fork oil when it comes out even at half or less than 50K.

I have noticed that when I change my transmission oil that it ISN'T dirty. I swear that it looks as good as the day I put it in. I have been using F+1 in this bike (02 Road King) since I got it three years ago. I change all my lubes every year. I'm planning to switch to the Specto GL-1 as soon as I get it, because of what I have read in this forum. My question is do I have to change the trans lube every year or can I extend my change intervals. I only ride approx. 2000-2500 miles per year (I know it's not much). Your thoughts please.

If the oil comes out fairly clean you are doing fine. How often you change is dependent on the severity of service. As Glider says change is good...based on how "dirty" the oil comes out AND as Smitty says...how rough duty service you put your ride through. Obviously the factory has minimum guidelines as they do not want "In warranty repairs" to muddy their waters (but prefer to keep their dealers in business)...and as Glider says...if you drain out dirty oil and it happens to be "before its' time...consider it a "gift" you caught in time. That dirt has to settle somewhere...:newsmile040:

Correct me if im wrong but it says 20,000 miles or YEARLY which ever comes first.

Plus it appears your from Livonia Mi so your bike is parked for the winter and moisture gets in the fluid as the temps flux while stored.

I live in Traverse City Mi and when I pull my dip stick after it sat in the pole barn all winter I can see some water mixed in with it.

So I change engine, primary and Tranny every spring

Goooosh, I thought everyone kept there bike in there living room over the winter. Or made the wife car sit outside. Hope my wife dosn't read this!!!

Goooosh, I thought everyone kept there bike in there living room over the winter. Or made the wife car sit outside. Hope my wife dosn't read this!!!

Trust me, if I could get my Hog in the house without going though a ton of trouble to do it, you bet it would be in the living room!!

Back