free website stats program Trans and primary oil change intervals | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Trans and primary oil change intervals

it seems that there is very different intervals on changing fluids on everyones rides. to really settle the debate we should post miles on the bike along with fluid changing intervals. that way we could see if changing a trani at 20,000 works rather than 2,500. (same for oil and primary).

I have 22,000 miles on my ultra. I change oil at 2,500: primary & trani at 5,000.

I dont know if 22,000 miles is enough to tell if I am doing things right.

I've had my 07 for almost 3 years now...and now is the time for me to get my hands dirty (an Indy has done it in the past). I've bought the oil filter wrench (94686-00), an HD filter (63731-99A), O rings, a drain pan and funnel, and the Service manual. The oil change is pretty straight forward, but the primary is a bit confusing: I'm to remove the 5 torx screws and cover, remove the drain plug. That's fine...but...do I just dump the proper amount of lub into the whole sh-bang there ?? Is there no reservoir for the primary fluid ?? (any pics appreciated).

Finally, the manual says to adjust the clutch here as well...how do I know when the clutch needs adjustment ?? The bike shifts fine..is that the end of it ?? Or is there something I'm not seeing...maintenance -wise

Thanks

You say you have the Service Manual for your year and model bike? All your questions should be answered in there. Proper amount of primary fluid for full and/or partial changes, clutch adjustment intervals, everything! Pour yourself a mug of coffee and read the entire first section - it's a great overview of service procedures and intervals. Then refer to the more detailed sections as necessary. There's also gobs of helpful info available in the Self Help section of this forum. Lastly, you can always post something here if you get in a jamb and dozens of good folks will quickly come to your rescue!

Back