free website stats program Trans and primary oil change intervals | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Trans and primary oil change intervals

I run Mobil 1 V-Twin in the engine and Spectro in the transmission and primary. I've changed each at 5,000 miles and at 10,000 miles but that seems like overkill for full synthetics. I think I'll switch to changing the oil every 5,000 miles and the transmission/primary every 10,000 miles. What do the guru's on the board think about that schedule?

Tranmission on newer TC call for 20,000 mile changes. Tranmission does not mix with any other lube it is a closed system. As long as you use a good lube there is no reason to change it early. Of course if it makes you sleep good no problem.

The transmission oil isn't the same principle as the engine oil due to the fact of no combustion contaminants entering the oil. It should come out looking pretty much the same as when it went in but it does wear out the product without it looking bad so don't use looks as a means of determining if it is still doing the best job in the gear box.
One quart is cheap insurance to keep things running at their best by changing it more often than HD recommends. The SHEAR factor from the gears in the transmission is what does the oil in.

The system is also a vented system and can get condensation and even water at times in there from riding in the rain or washing the bike.

Motor = M1-20W/50 @ 2500m
Trans = M1-75W/90 @ 5000m
Prim = HD Formula+ @ 5000m

Pretty much my schedule, but I dump all oil & refresh @ winter storage.

Well first let me say this is the Best Site for info on HD's and really like the fact that everyone seems to want to help out fellow HD's riders. With that being said I have owned now 2 HD's a 02 FLHT and now a 07 RKC, really liked my FLHT but love the Road King.

Have done the Maintence by the book as far as 5,000 on the Engine (Amsoil) Trans (Spectro) Primary (Spectro) just switched to spectro and love it, Also sent Spectro a email about using just the 75w140 GL1 in the 6 speed and right from the producer said it is fine and will not hurt the bike so if any of you cannot find the 6 Speed GL-5 then the GL-1 is fine. Just wanted to get that out there. Second as far as intervals go, go by the book HD has done years and years of testing on these bikes in all types of conditions IE cold, hot, if you can think they have done it. Just go with what the book says there are bikes out there with over 150,00 on the engine and using just dino have had no problems and that is doing the changes at 5,000.

Now I do agree that if you have put the bike into a extreme situtation then if u want to change the oil by all means do it but again I am sure harley has thought of it. Talking with a Motorcycle cop they do there changes per the book, and as u know if you want extreme then they have it, and the bike purrs right along. I know the bikes are alot of money and like me I am sure u probably love ur bike more than ur wife but believe me these bikes and the way there are built are bullet proof.

Just my two cents but as long as u put a quality product in the bike Mobil 1, Amsoil, Spectro the bike will serve u well, or all this interval (EDIT) will drive u crazy. Again one of the best sites out there and really like to read everything that people have to say. KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!!

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
I agrree with most the tranny and primary change requirements are more relaxed in that combustion byproduct contamination is not so much an issue as engine oil. That said, what deteriorates the lubricant is the constant meshing of gears, particulate matter rubbed off those same parts, moisture contamination and in the case of my Sporty friction materials rubbed off. When my bike (Metric Katana) was new, I made sure I changed the oil at 500 miles, 1000 miles, 2000 miles and 3000 miles or each 3 months and this was because in an inline 4 multi-cylinder engine, tranny and chain all spun in the same stuff, and not a pretty picture for reciprocating engine spinning at the speed of a small Dremel tool (10,000 RPM on song).

Old habits are hard to break, but a 3 hole bike with a long heritage of V-twin history behind it is probably going to be pretty close to the mark. Stick with the recommendations of your manual and you should be fine. Then let your "rational" set in, your choice and much research has been done. I like Gliders' thinking, that the lubricant is...eh..."inexpensive insurance"...but changing tranny & primary oil at 2500 miles is a lot, but to me even 10,000 miles is too long...I do mine every 3,000, the oil filter at 6000 miles out of convenience. Hey I may be old, but math still comes easy to me. All I have to do is look at the odometer and if thousands digit divides by 3 it is time for a change.:D

Last edited:
I change the primary every 5K with Valvoline 20W50 MC oil,$4 qt..Got tired of spending $9 qt. for Spectro Chaincase Lube.

Using Redline Shockproof Heavy in the tranny,changed every 20K.

My 2001 is NEW to me - I changed everything this past week @ 43K miles. The owner's manual says to change all three at 5K miles. I put HD 20W50 in the engine and Mobil 1 in tranny and HD Formula + in the primary.

Bill

Nothing wrong with that plan by M1 in transmission you mean M1 gear libe I take it.
Some like to change more often others go by the book.
Long as you riding under normal condition follwing the book is fine IMO.
Thats how I have done it for some time now. Use to be one of those that chnaged it twice as often as book said.
thanks Smitty -- hey, I asked this question before - but, again, how do I know which post you are responding too? I mean like I am responding to your post #31 and if I am fast - this should be post #32 - but its not given anywhere that I have found. Help me out here.

Thanks
Bill

You would know is this case because I quoted you
I see that -- I guess that is the only way to know. I think we should all use the 'quotes' feature when responding to individuals postings.

Hey any ideas on drilling and taping transmissions drain plug holes? Are you familar with "self-taping plugs"? (no drilling required)

Thanks for your response Smitty
Bill

I've had my 07 for almost 3 years now...and now is the time for me to get my hands dirty (an Indy has done it in the past). I've bought the oil filter wrench (94686-00), an HD filter (63731-99A), O rings, a drain pan and funnel, and the Service manual. The oil change is pretty straight forward, but the primary is a bit confusing: I'm to remove the 5 torx screws and cover, remove the drain plug. That's fine...but...do I just dump the proper amount of lub into the whole sh-bang there ?? Is there no reservoir for the primary fluid ?? (any pics appreciated).

Finally, the manual says to adjust the clutch here as well...how do I know when the clutch needs adjustment ?? The bike shifts fine..is that the end of it ?? Or is there something I'm not seeing...maintenance -wise

Thanks

Back