free website stats program trailer hitch | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

trailer hitch

Think about the pain in the behind when you're pulling a trailer with your truck....dragging a boat anchor behind you in rush hour traffic and even backing it into driveways without hitting the next door neighbor lady walking her dog.
How about stopping without the trailer jack-knifing around in a panic stop when somebody jams on the brakes in front of you?

NOT anybody's idea of "fun", right?

Now picture all of the joy with your BIKE as the tow vehicle!

Believe me, it takes the joy out of riding and eliminates any chance of relaxing, since doom is one fool in front of you away, (yes, much more than normal), and leaves NO chance of "recovery" if a "situation" arises suddenly.

This is all coming from experience. Did it once, got home safely, but never again. I truly believe trailering with a motorcycle is, in a word, inappropriate.

On the other side of this, I have owned probably 6 different trailers and pulled them with a few different bikes with no problems. Its nice to have the extra room when going camping and such. Now if I was having to pull through the big cities all the time I may have to think twice about it...

Attachments

• n-line 2.JPG
    n-line 2.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 90
  • streetglide and trailer.JPG
    streetglide and trailer.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 269
I retired March 08. Spent April getting the bike and camper trailer ready. May 4th, took off and toured North America to mid September. Pulled the trailer about 20,000 miles that trip. Ride to an area, set up camp, ride all the back roads and take in points of interest (to me)for a week or two, then move on to another part of the country. Repeat in new area and move on to repeat again somewhere else. Was doing the same this year ... But a crash on Aug.1st while returning to the camper totaled the bike and put me in hospital for the night. That kinda ended this years fun. I have not had any problems pulling my 54' wide camper. Fully loaded it weighs just under 400 Lbs. The width makes it stable as a rock in high cross winds and when passing 18 wheelers ... or them coming the other way. In West Virginia I was scraping the boards in the twisties ... forgot the trailer was was back there ... following. Once you get use to the length you are now in command of and allow more space for following ... and give gas pumps a little wider berth ... there are no problems. A little common sense cures all. BTW ... Try taking a 4 or 5 month trip staying in hotels ... OK, so if you won the lottery it's doable ...
I just got my Ultra 3 weeks ago. Come spring I'll install a hitch and wiring ... outfit the camper again and I'm off for another 5 month trip.

Attachments

• Colo013.jpg
    Colo013.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 60
I'm not a big trailer fan but I've pulled them in the past. To me Harley's lack the power to make a good toe vehicle. I use a rack and lid haulers for touring.I spent 62 day touring in 07 with that combo which was a lot nicer than draging a trailer. I don't do motels I stay at camp grounds or KOA's.If I were taking the wife I would have to reconsider the trailer which I still own just in case.

I installed a Rivco Products Hitch. It came with the wiring and the 4 to 5 wire converter. here are pics of the set up with the trailer attached. The trailer was bought off of Ebay. I did all of the installation myself and added LED fender marker lights , reflectors and decals.

Thanks,

Tim:D

Attachments

• New Trailer with Spare Tire Mounted Under Frame 019.jpg
    New Trailer with Spare Tire Mounted Under Frame 019.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 69
  • New Trailer with Spare Tire Mounted Under Frame 022.jpg
    New Trailer with Spare Tire Mounted Under Frame 022.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 67
  • New Trailer with Spare Tire Mounted Under Frame 055.jpg
    New Trailer with Spare Tire Mounted Under Frame 055.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 63
  • New Trailer and Ultra Classic 003.jpg
    New Trailer and Ultra Classic 003.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 69
  • New Trailer and Ultra Classic 015.jpg
    New Trailer and Ultra Classic 015.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 61
I put one on my RG this past summer so I could pull my small trailer on Vacation. I had it loaded down by the time I got back,I also had my wife on back and I pulled it about 3,100 over the whole trip and I did not have any problems at all. I take the hitch off when i am not using it,or before I go to the dealer. Was told by a mechanic that the Dealer looks for any reason not to cover any problems that arise under warranty and since the owners manual says DO NOT PULL A TRAILER,so if you do,they can use that as a reason to not cover warranty issues.

I've pulled a Unigo trailer over 42,000 miles ...from the East coast to the West Coast... I've never had a problem and sure makes the wife happy...They sold me the hitch (Unigo w/ a wiring harness specially for my Road King) installed the hitch and wired it in less that 2 hours. Its can carry up to 100 pounds and its a 1 wheel trailer..when we arrive at out destination we unhook it and roll it to our room.

I had to chime in on this. I've never towed a two wheeled trailer but I have out a bunch of miles on an FJR1300 pulling a Unigo trailer. I've touched a peg down while towing one also. Since it tracks with the bike it is amazing stable and rock solid at speeds that will make you scratch you head. I was past 100 mph on the FJR with it as a 'test' and it was flawless.

If I was to every buy one for myself, I would certainly look up Uni-Go. They have traded hands since I used one, but I'm sure they are as good if not better from what I have see at shows.

Regards,

Matthew

I know you did not ask for opinions here but I would be remiss if I did not at least try to get you to reconsider your decission to pull a trailer with your motorcycle. Given the rather unforgiving laws of physics, it just does not bode well for a long and healthy life. I don't want to see anybody get hurt. The difference between a catastrophe and an accident is that one is likely avoidable with a little thought beforehand. I know, you can find Harleys and Goldwings all over the highway, pulling trailors. That does not change the fact that it is dangerous behavior. I don't know of any bike manufacturer that makes a trailer hitch either. Wish I could be more supportive on this one, but I feel you would be an accident looking for a place to happen. Life is short enough without looking for trouble. Appologies for being a wet blanket.

Two rules, two camps...one, you got a trailer out back...problem or solution...two, you got a trailer out back...! Let me explain:

One, "the good" -- plenty of storage, properly installed, trailer packed it can be a blessing, especiallly if you do long term travel and just need the space plain and simple. After all, how can it be bad when you address the main limitation to motorcycles?

Two, the "baggage" -- it has security issues, affects handling, ground clearance, looks and it is out back, "outta sight and outta mind...making it a silent liability if you are not vigilant" ...did I remind you that you had a trailer out back?"

Finally, there is the storage thing, especially if not used, it is a "boat anchor" waiting for the time when you really need it or want it...and it costs you more whether standing still or on the road.

Oh yeah this thread is about that hitch and 10 lbs of stuff in chrome, wiring, bag guards, heim joint/swivel/ball hanging off the bike and mods to get 'er all in...been there...only I have a Truck and small...eh..."cute Ute" to tow a Teardrop trailer AND love it, just do not want to "kill the joy" of riding my Sporty or other two wheel conveyence...cause the freedom to ride means not having something to "safety chain" out back.

Last edited:
Two rules, two camps...one, you got a trailer out back...problem or solution...two, you got a trailer out back...! Let me explain:

One, "the good" -- plenty of storage, properly installed, trailer packed it can be a blessing, especiallly if you do long term travel and just need the space plain and simple. After all, how can it be bad when you address the main limitation to motorcycles?

Two, the "baggage" -- it has security issues, affects handling, ground clearance, looks and it is out back, "outta sight and outta mind...making it a silent liability if you are not vigilant" ...did I remind you that you had a trailer out back?"

Finally, there is the storage thing, especially if not used, it is a "boat anchor" waiting for the time when you really need it or want it...and it costs you more whether standing still or on the road.

Oh yeah this thread is about that hitch and 10 lbs of stuff in chrome, wiring, bag guards, heim joint/swivel/ball hanging off the bike and mods to get 'er all in...beem there...only I have a Truck and small...eh..."cute Ute" to tow a Teardrop trailer AND love it, just do not want to "kill the joy" of riding my Sporty or other two wheel conveyence...cause the freedom to ride means not having something to "safety chain" out back.

What on Earth did he just say???????????:newsmile040:

Back