free website stats program Towing vs. HD Warranty | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Towing vs. HD Warranty

Just because you have a hitch, does that mean you tow a trailer? I am a member of the Patriot Guard and have seen many guys use their hitch to hang their flag set ups and nothing more. Dealership's always say this or that will void your warranty...they think it's their get out of jail card. When power commanders first came out for the F/I Evo's, my dealer said "void warranty"now dealers are selling them and other aftermarket stuff.

Just because you have a hitch, does that mean you tow a trailer? I am a member of the Patriot Guard and have seen many guys use their hitch to hang their flag set ups and nothing more. Dealership's always say this or that will void your warranty...they think it's their get out of jail card. When power commanders first came out for the F/I Evo's, my dealer said "void warranty"now dealers are selling them and other aftermarket stuff.

You are 100% correct. But the bottom line is he who makes the gold makes the rules. HD makes the gold.

So you can either go there are argue till the sun goes down and not get anywhere, or just take it off when not needed and save a whole lot of stress, grief and last but not least MONEY LOL cause in the end they not you are going to win. Not to mention if you paid for the extended warranty and everything is void you wasted your money.

Play smart and beat the system by just removing before going to the dealer

thats what my dealer told me is just remove it before coming in and no ????? would be ask so i bought a hitch that i could take off and on in seconds and had no problems

I just want to throw this out there.If towing will void the warranty why do some dealers stock and install hitches?
Hoosier HD and Hamilton HD to name two of them:D

I just want to throw this out there.If towing will void the warranty why do some dealers stock and install hitches?
Hoosier HD and Hamilton HD to name two of them:D

Well its kind of like engine upgrades. They will put anything you want on your scoot and take your money with a smile. But the warranty can be voided.

You know, its all about the all mighty dollar

thats what my dealer told me is just remove it before coming in and no ????? would be ask so i bought a hitch that i could take off and on in seconds and had no problems

I just got done building a small trailer, but have yet to get a hitch, what kind are you using
?

Having done some research and finally finding the manufacturer's sticker the GVWR is 1259 lbs. Does not leave any leeway for a trailer.

When towing a trailer, the weight of the trailer is not added to the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating), it is added to the GCVWR (gross combined vehicle weight rating). The only part of the trailer weight that is added to the GVWR is the tongue weight, typically around 15 to 20 pounds for a MC trailer.

However, the HD manuals do not provide a GCVWR. It is not that HD feels the bike is not capable of towing a trailer, it is a legal decision to cover their posteriors .

RetiredJake probably is correct, and most manufacturers say not to trailer or at least say they do not recommend it for that reason. The aftermarket guys kinda stick their neck out by offering and I believe they want a "margin" of safety so only offer them for the big touring rigs as standard offerings. That is why you do not see more motorcycles with trailer options, and of course the inspection, registering and insuring of a standard vs custom becomes the issue rather than whether it can be done or not.

Back