free website stats program Towing vs. HD Warranty | Harley Davidson Forums

Towing vs. HD Warranty

DEW57

I am thinking of buying a pull trailer for my 08 FLHTCU. Just wondering if anyone has had trouble getting warranty work done because of pulling a trailer with your ride? I was told by the local dealership service manager that towing voided the HD warranty.

I am thinking of buying a pull trailer for my 08 FLHTCU. Just wondering if anyone has had trouble getting warranty work done because of pulling a trailer with your ride? I was told by the local dealership service manager that towing voided the HD warranty.

Not a single word from my service dept. Find another dealer.

Dew57, I've puller a trailer since 2003 and have had to stop at dealers in several defferent states for service work/repairs and not once did I have one tell me that my warranty was voided.

Having done some research and finally finding the manufacturer's sticker the GVWR is 1259 lbs. Does not leave any leeway for a trailer.

How tight they are on the warrentee depends on the dealer, but pulling a trailer will void any warrentee on the chassie that MAY have been caused by doing so. So shocks, drive train, etc.

If I remember right there is a statement in the owners manual that tells you not to pull a trailer.

The warrentee will still be good for anything that can't be blamed on the trailer.

A while back when I let the dealer do my 5K service my trailer hitch was on my bike. When I went to pick it up they told me that having that hitch on my trailer voided my warranty.

Well we got into a conversation which was rather stern on my part asking them to show me where it says that. They said they know its in writing somewhere so I demanded they show me.

The mechanic comes out and gets in on it and says its on your air cleaner. I laughed and said it says it could be dangerous and COULD void your warranty, the service guys pulled it up and it said the same thing.

I again had to point out that it said it COULD which does not mean it IS. I further went on to explain that in a court of law COULD is a lot different than SHALL and they would have to prove that pulling a trailer or just having it on caused the supposed problem

I further added to them that if they wanted to play that game we could. Then they tried to tell me Harley has lots of lawyers. I told them I only need ONE LOL

Then they changed their whole tune and started to talk about how hard Harley is to get warranty on bikes with trailers, I told them they wouldn't know now would they if you didn't say anything.

They then went on to say well we wouldn't do that to you cause you come in here all the time etc unless it was something that happened that couldn't be explained except for a trailer.

What a bunch ehhh

Oh by the way, This is the Classic Motor Sports in Traverse City Michigan

not exactly the same but what is thier stance on a sidecar? Seems to me that it is very similar weight wise and such.

Funny you mention that, I brought the side car issue up with them during our heated discussion. They said because harley designed it to work with the bike its ok, plus tried to say cause it has brakes etc.

I just laughed, I said right, you got this heavy thing creating more wind resistance, right turns can tip over, the stresses on the frame etc.

It was just a circus. Like I said when I got done with them they were saying they wouldn't do that to me RIGHT!!!

I figure this. It takes 45 min or less to put the hitch on or take off. So I leave it off now unless needed. No more discussion on it. If something happens on the road I will just take it off, then have it towed and come back for the trailer with a car or pickup.

Funny you mention that, I brought the side car issue up with them during our heated discussion. They said because harley designed it to work with the bike its ok, plus tried to say cause it has brakes etc.

I just laughed, I said right, you got this heavy thing creating more wind resistance, right turns can tip over, the stresses on the frame etc.

It was just a circus. Like I said when I got done with them they were saying they wouldn't do that to me RIGHT!!!

I figure this. It takes 45 min or less to put the hitch on or take off. So I leave it off now unless needed. No more discussion on it. If something happens on the road I will just take it off, then have it towed and come back for the trailer with a car or pickup.

Wildey, That was going to be my next discussion with HD about the sidecar etc. I think I will just not waste my time and do as you posted. Thanks for everybody's thoughts! Dave

Back