free website stats program Torque Wrench | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Torque Wrench

I have been using Craftsman beam torque wrenches for years.

Also the bolt that you are torquing needs to be lubricated to be torqued correctly. Do not torque dry unless it calls for it.

You have this one backwards. ALL bolts are to be torqued DRY unless stated differently in a manual.

Torquing lubed bolts will give an inaccurate torq and it will be higher than you actually set the wrench for which is not a good thing.

I agree with wildey. All torque settings given in books are "dry" torque settings with a clean dry stud or bolt unless they specify "wet". Dry is an "understood". Even a coating of anti seize would effect the proper torque settings and would fall under the "wet'' settings which are different than a the dry settings.

Mine is a Craftsman from Sears, I very easy to use and in my opinion it will pay for itself by not over tightening a bolt or under tightening on that could lead to a crash... then there is the piece of mind. Just my 2cents

You have this one backwards. ALL bolts are to be torqued DRY unless stated differently in a manual.

Torquing lubed bolts will give an inaccurate torq and it will be higher than you actually set the wrench for which is not a good thing.

Sorry about the bad info.
I mainly use my torque wrench for engine assembly and have been used to running most everything wet.

Ok, a new heated debate Dry torque v Wet Torque. Same as the oil debate i suspect. Funny how there are so many issues of debate.

I vote wet torque. Steel bolts into aluminum need some type of antisieze or locktite to seal the threads either one will lubricate the threads.

I thought Loctite was regularly used on alot of the HD fasteners and, if this is so, does it not make them "wet" rather than "dry"? The torque recommendations I've seen on our site here and in some links don't specify which.

BTW Glider, my torque wrenches have arrived from Sears in Louisville, KY. Nice pieces for a great price. Thanks for the recommendation. :D

Glad to help out.

I have the same ones with the case, it's a good way to store them so they don't get damaged.

They came in plastic storage cases. They're not heavy duty and they don't have a lock or shuttermechanism but they seem good for protecting the wrenches and an elastic band solves a lot of problems.....:)

Any thoughts on the torque value effects if you put loctite onto a fastener?

Back