free website stats program Torque Wrench | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Torque Wrench

As a torque wrench is an expensive tool that can be used for many years you may at the time of buying ensure you get one that will last you for years
for some stuff youll need a bi directional torque wrench one that will work on left hand threads as well as right hand

Brian

If you can hold out, Sears always has the 50% off sale the day after X-mas. Last year they had one right around Thanksgiving and I got a in lb and a ft lb for less than $90! I also prefer the clicker type of torque wrenches.

Ya, I have the old style dial needle type from the 60's and they can be pretty hard to read when upside down.

Whoa, a beam type torque wrench...I got one of those...but only get 'em cheap at garage sales, as this nice "old stuff" works without a lot of tech (read calibration or "batteries" and lasts for years. :small3d015:

Ive got 2 beam type torque wrenches one was my dads (still have some of his tools and i use them reminds me of who he was) the other was bought by my dad for me with a socket set for 21st birthday
they are fine when you can watch the needle but can be difficult to read when you are putting your whole body into achieving the required tension

Brian

I purchased a few torque wrenches from Harbor Freight Tools. I think the three of them were under $100. Checked their accuracy (mfg. guarantees +/- 2% accuracy) against my buddies Snap On units and they are well within the accuracy stated. A lot of what you spend on a tool depends on how much you are going to use the unit. If you wrench bikes for a living or, it is your main hobby, then a good (make that expensive) unit is required. If you're going to use it once or twice, less expensive units that can meet the specs may be just what you need. The harbor Freight brand name is "Pittsburg Tool". I have redone a few automotive heads with these units, rebuilt two toploader transmissions with them, and did my roller chain conversion and everything went well.

I bought two beam wrenches from Amazon for about $40 apiece. One to 60 inch pounds and one to 600 to go with my standard 150 ft/lb beam wrench. It can be a little tricky if you cannot look directly at the indicator so I will put a dot of white out on the scale to aid visibility.

I personally like to watch the beam move so I can see when I am close to maximum torque.

Try amazon.com. I bought a specialty timing light for tuning the big blocks in by boat and it was about 120 item. Got a great price on amazon the signed up for the amazon credit card and got and instant 50 discount on top of the already great price.

Just so you know, Snap on makes the digital one for Craftsman. This info came from a snap on sales person and its the truth

I have been using Craftsman beam torque wrenches for years.
I upgraded to a used Proto dial torque wrench this last year. Picked it up on E-bay for $45.00 shipped to my door.
I have heard too many bad things about the newer Craftsman dial torque wrenches and wouldn't suggest buying one of the newer ones (google torque wrenches).

Not sure if anyone cares but it is more important when using a torque wrench is that it is consistent than accurate.
Being out of calibration by 5% or 10% is ok as long as it is consistantly out of calibration by the same percentage.
Also the bolt that you are torquing needs to be lubricated to be torqued correctly. Do not torque dry unless it calls for it.
Enough rambling for me
Hope this was helpful for someone

Back