free website stats program Too Hot to Ride? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Too Hot to Ride?

A couple of years ago some friends and I went to Las Vegas in August. We thought it would be neat to rent some Harleys for the day while we were there. We did and asked the shop manager where a good place to ride to would be. He said up into the mountains. It's cooler and there is a lodge there with good chow. Think we followed his advice? Naw. We headed out on I-15 to California. Talk about hot. I had a bottle of water with me and it was almost too hot to drink. that was one of the most miserable rides I have been on.

I second that. Sedona is a beautiful place to ride and not that hot. Having rode through the desert in the southwest with the temp over 100, it was not fun, but when traveling, sometimes you don't have a choice.

See, this is the heart of my question - I DO have a choice! That's why I'm asking and reading everyone's posts with great interest. Also, it will not be on my bike but a rental Heritage. I'll still bring a flexible cooler to fill with drinks and ice at every opportunity.

I'd love to get some input from the folks who live in the areas I will mention or who have ridden there.

If you had the opportunity to ride a Harley approximating the following route in mid-July, would you do it or would it simply be too hot to enjoy?

Las Vegas - Laughlin - Sedona, AZ - southern Utah - Salt Lake City

I understand about sunscreen and staying aggressively hydrated but I'm wondering if it's borderline unsafe to ride this area in the heat of the summer.

Let me hear your thoughts!

Its gona be pretty hot. been in Vegas in June, too hot to put foot on pavement during the day. we rode mostly every early or late in the afternoon. Learned to stay out of town and the stop and go traffic. I lived in southern AZ, in the mountains. ridding there was not bad at altitude, 4000 ft. or so. lower altitudes were very hot at that time of year. July is also the start of the monsoon season in that area. be aware of flash flooding and don't cross any water over the road. stay hydrated, to quote an old ridding buddy, "If you don't urinate every 2 hours you ain't drinking enough." try to stay covered, a lite longsleeve shirt will help with the sun and dehydration. Have fun and enjou the southwest.

Doc,

Buy a cooling vest. Soak it in water and put into a dry bag on your bike. When the heat starts to get to you, take it out of the dry bag and put it on underneath a mesh jacket. With the low humidity in those areas, it will be like you are in an air conditioned room. I used mine last year a few times on my western tour. if the temps were below 90 and I put it on, I would get goose bumps on my arms.

They can be found in several places, but I got mine at Sound Rider, a great place to shop.

Mixed MEDIA/Sound RIDER! - Ride Cool! - TechNiche Deluxe Evaporative Cooling Vest with Sleeves - NOW WITH HYPERKEWL PEF - FREE SHIPPING!

Doc,

Buy a cooling vest. Soak it in water and put into a dry bag on your bike. When the heat starts to get to you, take it out of the dry bag and put it on underneath a mesh jacket. With the low humidity in those areas, it will be like you are in an air conditioned room. I used mine last year a few times on my western tour. if the temps were below 90 and I put it on, I would get goose bumps on my arms.

They can be found in several places, but I got mine at Sound Rider, a great place to shop.

Mixed MEDIA/Sound RIDER! - Ride Cool! - TechNiche Deluxe Evaporative Cooling Vest with Sleeves - NOW WITH HYPERKEWL PEF - FREE SHIPPING!

Nice looking vest and if I lived out in the desert SW I'd probably get one but I'm not spending that kind of money for something I'd probably only use once.

Speaking as one who lives here in Phoenix, it is a hard ride in August. We have storms that come up fast up there during the summer. It is cooler in the mornings and evenings where it stays hot at night here in Phoenix. August is the worst and I just ride early. Here is a great local site that can give you info and a place to email questions about AZ rides. Cyclerides

Nice looking vest and if I lived out in the desert SW I'd probably get one but I'm not spending that kind of money for something I'd probably only use once.

My friend in Denver has one and swears by it. But he said that down south with the high humidity they were useless. Anyone else heard this?

My friend in Denver has one and swears by it. But he said that down south with the high humidity they were useless. Anyone else heard this?

I would think they would be much less effective since they're based on evaporative cooling, which works better at lower humidity levels.

I've heard it quite a lot over the years when the subject of cooling comes up. Evaporative vests work great in low to medium humidity. However, they can get heavy and slimy depending on the brand. Evaporative vests only add to the heat in high humidity areas.

There is gear for riding in the cold and in the heat. You have to understand what your body is going throug and take care of it.

Back