free website stats program Tom Tom or Garmin GPS | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tom Tom or Garmin GPS

One of the keys to using GPS is to get the exact address, one little syntax error and ANY GPS will lead you down the merry path. Sometimes that can mean the difference when two cities are adjacent and the streets overlap...which can be frustrating.

I have a Garmin Nuvi~ that I switch back and forth from the car to the bike.
It's my second Garmin and I'm quite happy with it.

I have had three garmins....one for the bike , one the cage, and one for the woods....I've been happy with them never tried the Tom Tom

I have a Garmin that I think is great with a mount for the scoot. It doesn't have a battery. I went to Best Buy, Black Friday, and they had a TomTom with blue tooth and 4 hr battery at a price I could not pass up. Played with it some and I think I will like it.

Thanks for all the replies...looks like garmin is the favorite here. With the points I had, I chose the Garmin nuvi 765. I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

I think the Garmins are better, better routes and better maps. I have a Garmin NUVI 760. If I had it to do over I would have got a cheaper one, most of the stuff I don't use. If you have a iphone, you can download a Tom Tom app, it is a real turn by turn nav, pretty cool.

I think the Garmins are better, better routes and better maps. I have a Garmin NUVI 760. If I had it to do over I would have got a cheaper one, most of the stuff I don't use. If you have a iphone, you can download a Tom Tom app, it is a real turn by turn nav, pretty cool.

I bought the Garmin Nuvi 760 last February. Although they are 'discontinued' I was able to find quite a few all over the net and in stores. I picked it up for $245. It hasn't led me on any wild goose chases, that weren't my fault. :small3d007:

I've used it in both cars and on the bike. It's taken me to the top of Mt Washington, to the southern end of South Carolina, to the western end
of Virginia with no problems. Not to mention how many times it's found
gas stations, ATM's, food, for me.

I use the Garmin GPS Map 276C in my work and you can get great maps and data for the Garmins. I just ordered a Tom Tom One XL-S for our truck; cheaper on E-Bay; I have never used a Tom Tom but I won't be counting on it's 100% accuracy for off road/over land accuracy so it should suffice.

What does one have to do to program a "backroads" trip into a gps? Can you put in a road by road journey of your own choice? Or is it like Mapquest that gives you a choice of main highways or not main highways, but not roads of choice? The only reason I would want one is to do away with the turn by turn directions I now tape to my windshield.

What does one have to do to program a "backroads" trip into a gps? Can you put in a road by road journey of your own choice? Or is it like Mapquest that gives you a choice of main highways or not main highways, but not roads of choice? The only reason I would want one is to do away with the turn by turn directions I now tape to my windshield.

different GPS units wil have different ways of getting things set up,
depending on the unit. Generally, more money = more toys.

I can make my Garmin take a specific route,
put a couple of midpoint destinations in the plan,
and avoidances like toll roads, major highways, or back roads.

The fancy ones may even have the ability to communicate with
a traffic control system to avoid accidents and traffic jams.

Back