free website stats program To torque or not to torque? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

To torque or not to torque?

Are those sockets for those of us that our vision is getting bad enough that we can't read the fractions without our glasses, just hope we don't go color blind too.

I saw those nice looking anodized sockets at HF...sadly, my tool "collection" is full, Jack would be proud, lots of Sears Craftsman, Proto, SnapOn, SK, Thorsen, Crescent...you name it. Good tools last, and those that don't like Torx bits and such get "pitched" if they show wear or not tight fitting.

.. .. .. sadly, my tool "collection" is full, Jack would be proud, lots of Sears Craftsman, Proto, SnapOn, SK, Thorsen, Crescent...you name it. Good tools last, and those that don't like Torx bits and such get "pitched" if they show wear or not tight fitting.

Ummm nothing sad about that. I love just reading about it. I've always had a weakness for tools. Only with me instead of my tool collection being full, it usually is my wallet being near empty :lolrolling

I have never used a torque wrench on any of the drain plugs and I never use Teflon tape either. You only have to replace the o-rings if they show wear, if the o-ring shows no wear then it can be used again. I don't use the Teflon tape because I think that bits & pieces of Teflon tape can come off the drain plugs and get inside the engine. You can tell when the drain plugs are tight so just snug it up good making sure you don't get carried away with the wrench. By the way I never had any issues with the oil leaking from any of the drain plugs.

I have never used a torque wrench on any of the drain plugs and I never use Teflon tape either. You only have to replace the o-rings if they show wear, if the o-ring shows no wear then it can be used again. I don't use the Teflon tape because I think that bits & pieces of Teflon tape can come off the drain plugs and get inside the engine. You can tell when the drain plugs are tight so just snug it up good making sure you don't get carried away with the wrench. By the way I never had any issues with the oil leaking from any of the drain plugs.

For folks that have good hand to brain 'feel' this will work, I've done it too on non critical fasteners. As for the Teflon tape, I also agree 'now', although there was a time when I did use it on my oil temp sending plug. But I've since switched to the teflon paste for the reasons you quoted. I don't use either on drain plugs. Although I feel that with either tape OR paste, you should keep it on the outside half of the threads to keep ANY of it from getting inside upon removal of plug.

I do replace the washers, they are relatively cheap and don't want to deal with leaks after the fact. However to your credit, I haven't replaced the washer on my truck drain plug in years and it still is doing ok, but it's not a rubber, but looks more like a teflon gasket.

I use Permatex sealer it comes in a white and red tube and squeezes out white for sealing the fluid bolts.
I usually replace the O rings and the Derby Cover gasket but if they come out in good shape I will reuse them.
Like some others, I turn the bolt in until it touches the base then just tighten a little more and they never leak. But the torque specs are there for a reason and I agree you should use them if you're not sure or heavy handed.

I intended to torque mine to spec last oil change. However, the HF inch pound click wrench I bought would not click. Good thing I tested it first! Returned it, second wrench will not click, returned it. Will be getting a more quality dependable wrench in the future.

I tightened the plug finger tight and snugged it up. Figured if it leaked I could snug it a touch more. No leak, new o rings.

I intended to torque mine to spec last oil change. However, the HF inch pound click wrench I bought would not click. Good thing I tested it first! Returned it, second wrench will not click, returned it. Will be getting a more quality dependable wrench in the future.

I tightened the plug finger tight and snugged it up. Figured if it leaked I could snug it a touch more. No leak, new o rings.

YES! ALWAYS test them, no matter where you buy them. My best Torque wrench is a Sears FT pounder, the handle twists like power steering and has a neat little window to show the value as you turn . . . . BUT when I bought it, as I was standing there looking at it, the sears salesman was showing another one to a customer and one of them dropped the wrench from 3 feet to the concrete floor. I watched as it was put back on the shelf rack with the others.

You never know until you test them. I also had an H.F. FT pounder that would not click when I tested it, took it back. But I have 2 other H.F. wrenches that have worked like a charm now for a over a year. The cheaper micrometer twist is much harder to turn and the etched dials harder to read than the Sears though. But the H.F was $24 and the Sears was $122. It's just a matter of relevence (as long as they work). Especially when money is tight.

Back