free website stats program To torque or not to torque? | Harley Davidson Forums

To torque or not to torque?

harleybiker

Doing my first oil change this weekend and need to know if I need a to torque the oil drain plug after I drain the oil and replace the o ring and plug? Thanks in advance.

hb

Yes - most everything you put a wrench on has a recommended torque value found in your Factory Service Manual.

Yes to tight and you run the risk of tearing the O ring or pulling the threads out of the pan,to loose at best a dripping drain plug.

be sure to use a new "o" ring and use PFE (teflon liquid sealant on the threads. as a example '09 tri-glide oil plug torque is 84-108 inch pounds. just snug tight is all is needed if you don't have a inch pound torque wrench. i found one for about $30.oo with no shipping charger a couple of weeks ago. from tool king (on amazon web site its a titan 23146 1/4" micrometer torque wrench p/n 23146 for $29.99
mainly i use on the primary side cover when i change the oil.

Always torque on these bikes. Replace the "O" ring too but not the plug. Make sure to run the plug in with your fingers a few turns before putting a wrench on it so it isn't cross threaded.

I would say torque is best (especially if you are heavy handed). I've done mine without a torque wrench with no problems, but I've torqued enough things to know bout how much pull I'm doing. On mine all the drain plugs are spec'd at 15 FT lbs torque.

For critical connections I always torque them. Like my hand controls on the bars. I hand tightened them once and since the little screws looked so dainty I did not tigthen them enough and they came loose while riding.

Start it straight by hand with a new O ring and Torque it:s 1/4 Torque Wrench - 20-200 in. lbs.

WOW Jack would you look at those sockets at HF.

image_9737.jpg

Back