free website stats program To rake or not to rake | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

To rake or not to rake

( I believe ) - The 2012's are completely HD MoCo! They - if I understood the sales mngr. right - HD & Lehman parted ways. ?? someone can correct me if wrong on this.

The TriGlide for 2011 or 2012 are manuf by the MOCO. The first TriGlide was a joint venture with Leaman, and yes they are now all Harley. That being said I can't see Harley not using raked trees. Like the Trike lady said it makes them steer easier.

get the rear lift kit, it raises the back of the trike about 1 1/4" and makes a world of difference in steering, as well a not scrapeing your pipes anymore

I have purchased the rear lift brackets and I am going to give that a try. It seems that everyone agrees to just leave the rake as is. Thanks everyone who left their comments. I read them all and I appreciate the advise. I will let you know how the lift brackets work out.

Would possibly a different handle bar some what like on a Boss Hoss give more leverage??? Just a thought.

I have purchased the rear lift brackets and I am going to give that a try. It seems that everyone agrees to just leave the rake as is. Thanks everyone who left their comments. I read them all and I appreciate the advise. I will let you know how the lift brackets work out.

I put the lift brackets on today and it makes a big difference to the way it looks and the steering has become a little easier. And I no longer scrape the mufflers when going in or out my driveway. I almost spent $1400 to rake the front end to get the same results. I am sure glad I asked the Harley forum what they think about the idea before I spent that kind of money.

Thanks to Trike Lady for the tip on where to get the kit.

And Steve, I don't know if you ever noticed or not, but Harley does just so much on many of their bikes, but always has a solution to make it better that will cost you big bucks. I guess that is their way to get more money from the consumers.

I for one am glad that you took the time to ask the question. Many will gain from the conversation you started. It is always great to see how many members there are that come up with solutions.

=================================================

Just read the TriGlide lift kit thread and it looks like something anyone with a Harley Trike needs to see:tGLIDE Stuff.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Got in on this thread late. All the posts were good but never saw the real reason posted that increased raked trees make the steering easier (on trikes only) while increased ranked frame does not.

The reason is that increase raking the frame (i.e. the steering column) increases trail.

But increase raking the trees descreases trail. This is because when the trees alone are raked it takes them out of parallel with the steering stem. And the resulting geometry causes descreased trail. Something that makes trikes more steerable but increases bad handling risk on 2 wheeled bikes.

I posted some cad drawings I did a good while back showing the relastionship of rake and trail but I can't remember where.

Back