free website stats program To rake or not to rake | Harley Davidson Forums

To rake or not to rake

behavin

What do you all think about me raking my 2011 tri-glide trike to improve the front end steer? It does take a good amount of arm strength to steer on curves, and I was told if I had it raked 6 degrees, that would eliminate the hard steer.:newsmile096:

Increasing the rake would make it harder to turn while decreasing the rake would make it easier but reducing the rake to much may induce other issues.

IMO getting as much input from those who know the Tri-Glide and its characteristics before making such a change would be prudent.

Zoood and trike lady are 2 members who may be able to give you more input.

First of all, I don't think you're going to ELIMINATE the hard steering of the Trike. I've been told this is a characteristic you must adapt to and consider when buying a Trike. I would hope the HD engineers spent lots of time calculating the optimum frame geometry for these bikes. I would be very hesitant to change things. Just me.

I have to agree with Dr. Dolittle, if another 6 degrees would help Harleys engineers would have added it at the factory.

First of all, I don't think you're going to ELIMINATE the hard steering of the Trike. I've been told this is a characteristic you must adapt to and consider when buying a Trike. I would hope the HD engineers spent lots of time calculating the optimum frame geometry for these bikes. I would be very hesitant to change things. Just me.

I have to agree with Dr. Dolittle, if another 6 degrees would help Harleys engineers would have added it at the factory.

Harley built alot of trikes remember the Servi Car? They got the geometry right it is nature of the beast JMO

Being a 1st time owner of a trike - rode a many a miles on two wheels though - I , JMO , think raising the rear-end a tad would help more than raking the front end. Its is a different beast with a trike , upper arm and chest strength to manuvere rather than leaning ( which I have caught myself doing a few times!! haha!) on a two-wheeler.

Being a 1st time owner of a trike - rode a many a miles on two wheels though - I , JMO , think raising the rear-end a tad would help more than raking the front end. Its is a different beast with a trike , upper arm and chest strength to manuvere rather than leaning ( which I have caught myself doing a few times!! haha!) on a two-wheeler.

Good to see Randy up and about again:cheers

What do you all think about me raking my 2011 tri-glide trike to improve the front end steer? It does take a good amount of arm strength to steer on curves, and I was told if I had it raked 6 degrees, that would eliminate the hard steer.:newsmile096:

The HD TriGlide was a joint effort with Leaman Trike. The Leaman conversion kit comes with raked triple trees and I have no doubt that the Original TriGlide and all models since have this feature.

The Tri-glide comes from the factory with raked trees and a steering damper.
4.5 to 6 degree trees are normally used on motorcycles that are converted to trikes to make them steer easier.

The HD TriGlide was a joint effort with Leaman Trike. The Leaman conversion kit comes with raked triple trees and I have no doubt that the Original TriGlide and all models since have this feature.

( I believe ) - The 2012's are completely HD MoCo! They - if I understood the sales mngr. right - HD & Lehman parted ways. ?? someone can correct me if wrong on this.

Back