free website stats program Tires | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tires

Tires tires and more tires!

Had michelin scorchers stock on my dyna. I loved them......got 11k out of them and could have gone longer but I like to keep some tread on mine as I commute and do get caught in the rain from time to time so replaced them with dunlop k591s due to $$.......the scorchers were almost 2x the money. I now have 10k on the k591s and they are almost to the wear bars. I would say the grip on the k591s was better than the scorchers but they did cup a bit on the front tire. I am putting michelin commander twos on my ride in a couple of days......I'm hoping they match up to the hype and get good grip and the longer wear (their independant testing states upwards of 20k)! And the cost of commander twos is excellent imo at $246 for the front and rear tire with free shipping from motorcyclesuperstore. We'll see.

I had good luck with the Michelin Commanders on my last bike and I currently have new Commanders II's sitting in the garage waiting for me to quit being lazy :D

Over the years, I have tried most brands. I have to say, I've come full circle on Dunlop. Just bought a set of Elite 3's. So far, this is the best all-around motorcycle tire to date. Very impressed and will definitely buy another set.

Over the years, I have tried most brands. I have to say, I've come full circle on Dunlop. Just bought a set of Elite 3's. So far, this is the best all-around motorcycle tire to date. Very impressed and will definitely buy another set.

Just wondering about the best price to get on them. How much are they in comparison to the 402's?

The Elite III is a little more than the 402s, but worth the difference IMO. If you are mounting them yourself, the best place I have found to buy tires is Denniskirk.com.

Had a new set of Michelin Commander 11's put on about 300+ miles ago. So far I don't have any complaints. If they last 50% longer, that's just icing on the cake. Orig. Dunlap front lasted me almost 32,000 miles. Rear replaced at 16,000. Michelins seem to absorb road bumps better, but any new tire will do that for awhile. Will report again after a few thousand miles under my belt. Good luck in whatever you decide!

Scott in IL-'08 FHLT (The Mistress)

Dunlop D402 are a real good tire so why change. I get around 16,000 on the rear and 32,000 on the front the D402 handles great in all riding conditions. Had Metzler's before the rear tire wears out in about 8,000 miles and it hydroplaned on wet roads making it pretty scary riding in the rain, the D402 handles great in the rain. Never had Avons so I can't comment on them.

New to the Harley world, just picked up a 07 RK. The stock tires on this thing give me the pucker factor all the time....white knukle ride last time out. The tar snakes feel like I'm on ice. I want the E3's some of you speak about, but having a heck of a time with the conversion of the MT and MU thing to the "normal" tire size listings. Thanks for any help you guys can provide to a newbie :D

Get a DennisKirk catalog. Their tire section has an excellent section on tire sizes and nomenclature. The catalog is free if you request one on their website.

New to the Harley world, just picked up a 07 RK. The stock tires on this thing give me the pucker factor all the time....white knukle ride last time out. The tar snakes feel like I'm on ice. I want the E3's some of you speak about, but having a heck of a time with the conversion of the MT and MU thing to the "normal" tire size listings. Thanks for any help you guys can provide to a newbie :D
Here are the Dunlop Elite3 tire sizes on my '07 Ultra.

Rear MU90B16
Front MT90B16

Hope that is a help.

Back