free website stats program Tires | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tires

Always check the load rating on the tires. I like Avons because they have a high rating.

Thorns

I have a 1999 Road King and got tired of replacing rear Dunlop every 7000-8000 miles. I put on Muchelin Commanders last fall. Cornering is much more stable, wet traction better, and and after 4000 miles, seem to be wearing slower that Dunlops.

New here so did not try a search but thanks anyway -
Went ahead and put on Metz again - from the posts and knowing my riding style (like ya stole it) I'm not doin' too bad on the mileage - 5k+ on the last rear -
Thanks to all for sharing valued info

Hi guys,ive had a strange thing happen to me just lately,ive a roadking classic of which at 12000+ miles ive decided to change the tyres,now the dunlops which were on have been brill and so when i went to my tyre dealer he said why not try a pair of avons,and it just so happens ive got a pair of white walls in stock,ok said i and he stuck em on,now in all my years of riding ive used many avons and never had a problem with em so far so good. Now after about 10 miles i was getting the feeling that the bike wanted to drop away when cornering but i thought well these are new and got to give em a chance to bed in,well 200+miles now and i still get this feeling,i dont know how to describe it other than the bike feels like it wants to drop when banking past say 20degree's,now ive checked every thing from pressure's to alignment etc and drawn a blank,been back and explained this and give or take i think they might swap them for a different type of avon but im abit unsure at the moment,any of you people had anything similar?? rgds J

Hi guys,ive had a strange thing happen to me just lately,ive a roadking classic of which at 12000+ miles ive decided to change the tyres,now the dunlops which were on have been brill and so when i went to my tyre dealer he said why not try a pair of avons,and it just so happens ive got a pair of white walls in stock,ok said i and he stuck em on,now in all my years of riding ive used many avons and never had a problem with em so far so good. Now after about 10 miles i was getting the feeling that the bike wanted to drop away when cornering but i thought well these are new and got to give em a chance to bed in,well 200+miles now and i still get this feeling,i dont know how to describe it other than the bike feels like it wants to drop when banking past say 20degree's,now ive checked every thing from pressure's to alignment etc and drawn a blank,been back and explained this and give or take i think they might swap them for a different type of avon but im abit unsure at the moment,any of you people had anything similar?? rgds J

Check your sidewall rating / plies !!!!

used em all-- rides agressively,, tours agressively an does long distance non stop-- for the tires --- used em all over a lifetime -- in a word-- u cant go wrong with dunlops--- the metzlers are prettier,, maybe handle a tad bit better bit handling -- have poor longevtiy due to soft rubber and way more pricey... for bang for the buck-- it'll always be a dunlop... but what do i know?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm running Metzlers right now and am happy with them. They are noisier than the Dunlop OEM's were but I expect to get more miles out of them. I like wide white walls and like the looks of the Metzlers better than most others so I'll probably stick with them.

I just had my third tire installed in the rear. Had it done at the dealer and have always used a Dunlop, just because. I am gettin what appears to be normal wear for the type of hwy riding I do (~10-12K miles) before I replace them.

I had this tire replaced specifically because I noticed a crack down in between the tire tread. I am pretty meticulous about pressure in the tires but I was not giving the tires a complete inspection. I don't know why I didn't do this before, but after seeing the crack, it really scared me. I hadn't yet read the posts on the recent Dunlop discussion. Maybe the crack happened that day or maybe it was there for some time. I didn't know and it would have been easy for me to stay on top of this.

Every week I check the complete tire, front and rear, for anything remotely suspicious. Takes a little effort due to the fenders and I don't have a lift so there is a good bit of shuffling the bike back and forth.
I would suggest it is a good habit. May not catch everything but it should help the odds.

I will need new tires on mine, FLSTC 08, tought that I could make a choice by reading all those feed back, but I'm more mix up now on what to put as a replacement, I'll keep reading I guess:

my 2 cents: i wore out the oem dunlops and thought i'd try the metzelers even though the price was a bit more... 139.00 at dennis kirks, they seemed to be wearing a little fast and during a routine tire check i found that i had picked up a nail. don't know how long i'd been carrying that around, well i decided after that to save a little and get the dunlop 402 because it was only 114.00 w/free shipping. it balanced way easier than the metzeler, i may just stick with them, they ride just fine.

Back