free website stats program Tires tracking on cracks.. question. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tires tracking on cracks.. question.

A brand new tyre will glide over low road protrusions much better than a worn tyre so when replacing a worn tyre with a different brand the new one will feel so much better however when its worn to a different shape it may be the same or even worse than the factory tyre

Brian

Try checking you air pressure if they are running to high they will get squarley in cracks and groves.[/QUOTE]

I have always ran the reccomended air pressures, should I consider lowering the pressure? How does solo vs two up effect the need to adjust the air pressure, or does it?

Try checking you air pressure if they are running to high they will get squarley in cracks and groves.

I have always ran the reccomended air pressures, should I consider lowering the pressure? How does solo vs two up effect the need to adjust the air pressure, or does it?

the more weight the more pressure should be added to the bike manual should give you the reccomended pressure but that is for the stock tyre
as a rule of thumb the difference in pressure between hot and cold tyres should be around 4psi so set your pressures take bike for a run then check pressures when hot if they have gone up around 4psi then your about correct if less then your too hard if more then your too soft
tyre heat is generated in the most by sidewall flex too much flex = more heat = more pressure

Brian

Mattman, and RichardS hit it squarely. From what I've read about the different tread designs the lack of that center groove will greatly reduce the tracking problem. Even a staggered center groove is better than a straight groove around the center of the tire.

I think I read somewhere that Dunlops have a progressive rubber compound that is harder in the center and softer on the sides. If that is true, that may explain why they last longer and track funny. My experience after having a Metzeler for a short while was that it wore fast in the center creating a flat spot in the first 500 miles, (a small but noticeable spot) so when I picked up a nail in the new tire I switched back to Dunlop. Haven't seen that same wear on the Dunlop, still round after 1000 mi.

Back