free website stats program Tires and mounting prices | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tires and mounting prices

Matthew is correct in that you will save quite a bit if you remove the wheel/tire assembly and carry in to metric shop, especially if you buy the tire from them (via Motorcycle Warehouse or other big discounters (most shops get their tires from them at wholesale price anyway, so everyone wins). Last tires I changed cost $115, carry in for the price of the tire/sales tax (mounting and balancing was free (no disposal fee either).

Just orderded a set of 402 Dunlops 16 in for 06 road king 230.00 Del. to my door Dennis Kirk. Had them in 5 days, Indy Dealer Mount and bal 40.00 each shop around

I had my rear tire on the Ultra replaced in Loveland, CO last summer while on my 48 states tour. Cost a little over $300. Good thing they threw in that "FREE" wash job.

I have reached my limit on this, and have decided to change my own tires going forward. I have modified a Harbor Freight tire changer and almost completed making a bead breaker. As soon as that is complete, I'll be replacing the back tire on the Dyna as my initial test. Will post pics when I do the change.

I have reached my limit on this, and have decided to change my own tires going forward. I have modified a Harbor Freight tire changer and almost completed making a bead breaker. As soon as that is complete, I'll be replacing the back tire on the Dyna as my initial test. Will post pics when I do the change.

Have you gotten your tire spoons yet. There are good & bad ones out there.

. As soon as that is complete, I'll be replacing the back tire on the Dyna as my initial test. Will post pics when I do the change.

If this is your 1st time, there are definitely a few tricks to know that will make the job go a lot smoother. It's a break even dollar wise job for the 1st time because you will have to invest a couple of hundred in tools.
You will have to invest $100 in a good wheel balancer. Also a must is having 2 pairs of the hard plastic rim protectors like the ones that J&P carries. A jug of Napa brand RuGlyde tire mounting lubricant is also a must. At least 2 tire spoons. Get "drop down" spoons like KenTools #32116 or the Drop Down spoons J&P carries are also good.

Front tires are a snap and almost fall off the rim. But on the rear, the 2nd bead can be a challenge. It would not be so much of a challenge if we were not worried about scratching the rim. This is the hard part of the entire job. In order to accomplish installing the 2nd bead without marring the rim, you MUST use a large C clamp and a pair of 2" X 12" 1/2" plywood boards to squeeze the tire and get the bead in the "drop section" of the rim while spooning the other side of the tire. If you don't perform this step you will regret the day you tried changing your own tires.

I was at Schoch's today in Stroudsburg PA and they had a sign up that the tire mount and balance was only $28.00 Not a bad deal if you can remove the wheels from the bike. I never asked if they would mount a tire you brought in however. Knowing them, I doubt they would.

Have you gotten your tire spoons yet. There are good & bad ones out there.

Also a must is having 2 pairs of the hard plastic rim protectors like the ones that J&P carries. A jug of Napa brand RuGlyde tire mounting lubricant is also a must. At least 2 tire spoons. Get "drop down" spoons like KenTools #32116 or the Drop Down spoons J&P carries are also good.

I have purcghased a Mount/Demount Bar from No-Mar, it came with the lube. With this setup, there should be no need for spoons. Too hard for me to describe, will post pics when I do the first change and it will all be clear, or I will be very red faced. :newsmile100:

You have it under control. I know what your using now. No-Marr had a booth at the Ocean Center during Bike week and I saw their products. They seem to work really well & they made it look simple. I am sure you will be happy.

Back