free website stats program Tire Prices? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire Prices?

I don't think that you would find a dealer that would be willing to risk the liabtily assosciated with putting a car tire on a bike. Car tires are too flat across and don't have the wrap around sidewall for the cornering traction.
kemo

I don't think that you would find a dealer that would be willing to risk the liabtily assosciated with putting a car tire on a bike. Car tires are too flat across and don't have the wrap around sidewall for the cornering traction.
kemo

I've heard this before and don't buy it. Being flat across is not bad for a touring bike..better grip. I've thought about this sidewall issue..I would think the stress put on a CT by the vehicle during turns and curves would be more than a 900 lb motorcycle could apply.

I do believe for those who ride aggressively they might notice some handling differences. Most of us that ride touring bikes are beyond that stage in life. I know my brother has a CT on his Nomad..we rode the dragon last year, he had no issues. Would like to try it on my scoot.

Car Tire does not make sense to me.

If you believe a motorcyle tire is designed for a motorcyle and a car tire is designed for a car. 12K versus 30K So the car tire last twice as long at half the price.

Arguments sake;

Motorcycle Tire 12K miles (220.00 Rear Tire Installed)

Car Tire 30K (80.00 tire, 30.00 to mount = 110.00) Will last 2.5 Seasons.

Car Tire per season 44.00 (12,000 miles of riding)
Motorcycle per season 220.00 (12,000 miles of riding)
Savings 176.00 dollars per season

Car Tire per season 22.00 (6000 miles of riding)
Motorcycle per season 110.00 (6000 miles of riding)
Savings of 88.00 dollars per season

I don't think 175.00 savings per year is worth possiblely comprimising the design, performance and saftey of bike you spent 15K to 25K for.

Another question to ask. Which would I rather have on my bike on a wet road?

I am cheap but I am not that cheap that I will risk myself and my wife and my bike on some sharp curved clover leaf because of a tire not designed for a motorcycle. I am sure that a car tire has no problem handling the sidewall- stress but there is no wrap around tread on the car tire. I don't know who is installing these tires but I know it wouldn't be me. Now if the bike is equipped with a sidecar might be a different story
kemo

Just three weeks ago I purchased two E3's from Jake Wilson for my 2008 Ultra and paid $183 total to my front door in Redmond, Oregon. I have been running them for the last three weeks and love them. The ridged sidewall seems to help a lot in the curves, I don't feel any sidewall flex in the twisties like the OEM tires.

At this point I pretty sure I will purchase the Dunlop E3's again when the time comes.

I've heard this before and don't buy it. Being flat across is not bad for a touring bike..better grip. I've thought about this sidewall issue..I would think the stress put on a CT by the vehicle during turns and curves would be more than a 900 lb motorcycle could apply.

I do believe for those who ride aggressively they might notice some handling differences. Most of us that ride touring bikes are beyond that stage in life. I know my brother has a CT on his Nomad..we rode the dragon last year, he had no issues. Would like to try it on my scoot.

A bike tire can easily see 20 degrees of - or + Camber. (my factory bike has a lean limit of better than 30 degrees) You never will even come close to that with a cage. Apply 20 degrees of camber to a CT and I bet you will force the outer edge of the tire to lift. I really think that would a bad move & I would not do it.

But like Smitty says "Your Ride, you decide"

A bike tire can easily see 20 degrees of - or + Camber. (my factory bike has a lean limit of better than 30 degrees) You never will even come close to that with a cage. Apply 20 degrees of camber to a CT and I bet you will force the outer edge of the tire to lift. I really think that would a bad move & I would not do it.

But like Smitty says "Your Ride, you decide"

20 degrees of camber would not be driveable on a cage, If I saw that much camber while setting up an alignment on Hunter digital aligner which I do every day I would surely fall down laughing and wonder how you could drive like that:s

Vancouver Island Canada prices $$$ This last weekend I picked up a piece of metal in my rear tire, had to replace the tire, Dunlop D402 RR 130/90-16 $241.99 then tube, balancing, labour,taxes, total came to $341.50 and I removed and installed the wheel. Still cheeper than Disneyland and more fun. :D

Just last week; Dunlap d402 Elite rear (black and even has Harley Davidson on it) for $149.73 shipped and the local Indy installed it for $75.00 on my Electra Glide. The last one lasted 12K so I don't think that price is so bad.

He did adjust the belt tighter than I had it, but I don't hear any belt noise. I'm going in to ask him about it and maybe learn something about proper belt tension; seems almost as tight as a guitar string cold to me.

Back