free website stats program Tire Pressure XL1200C | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire Pressure XL1200C

Hoop, actually as a user of the Metzelers Marathon 880 I "started" with the standard 30/36 recommended setting on my XL1200R, but DID find them too "soft" and ended up with 34/42 'til they were done. Why?, as the tires wore, the wear pattern on the tread and handling in hard sweepers...couple that with 2-Up riding made it a necessity. Yeah only took about 2 years to wear both front and rear out...so the good and bad news, Metzlers ran great, just did not get near mileage one would have expected...don't think I am nearly as "radical" as Hobbit, but I am back on the Dunlops, armed with the knowledge of how the Metzlers performed. :bigsmiley30:

NewHD, Thanks.. Very Interesting. I am actually running a Cold pressure of like 38 front and 42 rear right now. Still actually under what the chart says because I just can't wrap my mind around that chart yet. But I think I will be fine.
It's really funny because I have another Metzeler catalog (still looking for it-can't seem to locate it) that went into detail on "tire failure". They stated that the Majority of Metzeler tire failures were due to tires being under-inflated. It was an interesting read and will try to locate it.

I will tell you my factory rear Dunlop 591 wore out in no time for me. I only had 6K miles on it (95% of 1 up riding) and the center only had a 1/32 of thread left. In the wet I was on ice. Let us know what you find with your new set.
I also can't believe all state roads are made from the EXACT same and type of road material. There has got to be differences in what each state uses.
Getting only 6K on a rear tire, you would think my state used recycled glass bottles in the road material.:p

""Pirelli is notifying owners and replacing the tires free of charge, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said.""

When I read this I wonder how it can actually happen. Are they saying that the word is going to go out to the Motorcycle SuperStore and then the Superstore is going to contact every person they sold that tire to. I don't believe it.

Maybe in a perfect world but do you think that really happens? Pirelli is notifying owners.. Ya sure. It's lip service if you ask me.

""Pirelli is notifying owners and replacing the tires free of charge, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said.""

When I read this I wonder how it can actually happen. Are they saying that the word is going to go out to the Motorcycle SuperStore and then the Superstore is going to contact every person they sold that tire to. I don't believe it.

Maybe in a perfect world but do you think that really happens? Pirelli is notifying owners.. Ya sure. It's lip service if you ask me.

They are slippery people to do business with not honoring warranties and selling old date coded tires. One reason Sears stopped doing business with them

Back