free website stats program Tire inflation | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire inflation

This is just my $.02. The tire manufacture makes a tire that might be installed on 5, 10, who knows, 20 different bikes. With each bike's weight, geometry, ability and power being different they are giving you their figures to what the specific tire can withstand, being load and pressure.

The bike manufacturer chooses whatever tire they deem suitable for each bike and recommend the proper tire inflation based upon the tires characteristic for acceleration, traction, braking, cornering and anything else they see fit to figure into the equation. This is why I wold suggest going with what the owner/service manual suggested pressure instead of the sidewall.

BUT!!!!!! With all of that said.........suit yourself and do as you please.

Indeed they did with Firestone tires. I think the low presure that HD is recomending is to improve the comfort of the ride.
I've use the side wall max presure for years on the Wing, Voyager and the Ultra. The tires last a long time and I get good gas milage.

Didn't Ford try, and fail at that once? I'm with the other Bodeen sidewall pressure for me. :s

Well I had to look. The books say 36 front and 36 back......40 in back for two people. I looked at the tires and guess what the max pressure is?

:good

When I picked up my used 2010 FatBob at the dealer, the salesman checked the tire pressure just before I drove away. He had me initial for him that the pressure was 36 lbs in front and back. After my first long ride, I was tempted to let out some air because the ride was not as soft as my old Sportster with Metzler tires. So I got the Owner's Manual, it said the pressure should be 36 lbs in front and 40 lbs in the rear. I keep them at 36 lbs each. After 8,500 miles, I have about 20% left on the rear, but some "cupping" on the front.

Next I'm considering putting radial tires on my Fat Bob. The Dunlap stock tire is a bias ply, and I'm thinking of Michelin Commander IIs or Metzler 880 Marathon. I've been told that radial tires are better because they have a bigger contact patch on the ground, and they are less likely to have cupping.

Back