free website stats program Tire Inflation Pressure | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire Inflation Pressure

NEWHD74FAN, what about Avon's mixed up psi specs??

J&P cycles where I bought the tires gave me the correct answer. Go with what is says on the tires, Max weight, Max psi cold. The Avon tech person must of thought I was talking about the reinforced tire, and I have the Venom-x non reinforced tire. venoms do not handle well loaded up for a road trip. oh well, it is what it is, next time it's a Metzler or Dunlop. I just want to share this so nobody else puts the wrong tire on their bike.

The maximum tire pressure listed on your tire is the manufacturer's maximum...NOT the recommended tire pressure for your motorcycle. There should be a decal on the frame of the bike indicating the wheel/tire size and MOCO's recommended tire pressure for your bike...PERIOD (caveat it should be the starting point for different brand of same/compatible tire size).

IF you changed the tire size, you may have to adjust the starting pressure a bit higher, but NEVER exceed the cold inflation MAX listed on the sidewall, the chance of a sudden deflation or blowout due to excessive pressure is NOT RECOMMENDED by manufacturer think "product liability here". J&P Cycles personnel are in error to think and obviously are not bearing liability with such a verbal recommendation.

Last edited:
We are not using "psi" in Europe however the physics are the same all around the world. The pressure given in the manual/s (also for cars) is the so called "comfort pressure" in order for the tire to absorb part of the shocks and make for a comfortable ride. For maximum longevity and because usually with a Harley you won´t squeeze out the last 10th second on a racetrack the tire manufacturers recommend (inofficially!) to increase the pressure by 0,1 to 0,2 bar. As a reference my manual states 2,07 bar (30 psi) for the front and 2,62 bar (38 psi) for the rear tire. Knowing that one inch is 25,4 mm and one pound is approx. 4,5 N one can easily convert back and forth. 1 Bar is 0,1 N/mm²! Or take the difference (38-30) psi/(2,62-2.07) bar gives 8 psi for 0,55 bar which means about 1,45 psi difference for each 0,1 bar difference. Or simply multiply the bar value with 14,5 and get the number for psi.

I run at max inflation for front and rear, according to the manual & tires all the time. Front 30 with and without a passenger, 36-solo, 42 w/passenger and all of her (EDIT) for the back tire.

My bike rides well at both pressures. If I run my bike under the max. I can feel the tire collapsing to the rim on some of the rough spots on the road or even pulling into a driveway. I just don't like that feeling, in addition the bike feels mushy if more than a couple of pounds under the max pressure. Full pressure the bike rides correctly with no mush.

No scientific data just how it feels underneath me.:)

Tire mileage so far with 45,000 on the softy
9,000 on the rear avg. Dunlop Stock, Metzler subtract 1500 miles before worn out
16,000 on the front avg. Dunlop Stock, Metzler subtract 2000 miles before worn out

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Sidewalls on tires are the MAX pressure, not the recommended pressures.

This one is correct.

Front wheel
Solo 36
Rider and passenger 36
Rear wheel
Solo 36
Rider and passenger 40

Hi,i ride a 09 Heritage and run with 36 front & rear,i am taking a trip shortly and have approx 10kg (22lbs) of luggage sitting on passenger seat,will i still need to adjust pressure in rear,before posting i had the idea of increasing rear to 38 and leaving front at 36,what do you think,cheers

Back