free website stats program tips for a first trip? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

tips for a first trip?

Bedrock, you don’t say how long you are going for but you can last forever with four sets of clothes plus those you are wearing. “The Tank” has directed you to a thread with lots of good scoop. I don’t think saddlebags are a necessity, but as I have done two cross country trips on an Ultra Classic, they sure are nice. In 2006 I went on a 5K+ mile adventure on a softail deuce which has NO place to pack or store anything. I McGuyvered a way to strap my T-Bag to the passenger seat and it worked perfectly. Make sure you take a short ride with your bike fully loaded to identify any issues prior to a long trip. As has been stated: “take half the stuff and twice the money”.
One of the most inconvenient things that have happened to me is my credit card being cut off while thousands of miles from home. Call and email your credit card company; take notes of dates, times and names of who you speak to and save a copy of your email. They may still cut it off, but a phone call fixes the problem quickly. Ideally, have two cards so you have a backup.
Depending on where you go, the weather may be completely different from that in Florida. There are plenty of places where you can encounter cold weather and snow in July. Make sure you have gear for all conditions. Good luck on your trip and post some pictures.

strapped to the rear fender).
Watch how you strap things.
A loose strap can tangle in your wheels with a bad result.

If in a motel, you can rinse out your day clothes and usually be dry by morning. Especially if traveling west. Doesn't take long in the desert sun.

Enjoy.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know anything about Bedrock's trip but I'd like to second the idea of taking more than one credit card. My friend had his primary card blocked several times on a trip we took from California to Sturgis despite his having called the credit card company and given them his itinerary. Good thing he had a second card or I would have been covering his charges.

Also, take less than you think you will need. (A lesson I am still learning.)

As this thread is over a month old, I was curious if anyone had the scoop on the trip Bedrock took.

cheers for inquiring. haven't take my trip - yet.

actually, as we speak my bike is gettin new tires & a complete fluid change - safety first.

not sure if it has been mentioned yet but a wearing a back pack is very uncomfortable on a long trip. ok for around town, but you might want to look at a alternative if you haven't already...i speak from experience and i was a lot younger back then

I think that taking a short weekend trip or 2 will let you know if you have got everything you need and have it packed securely and comfortable

Brian

Think about what to do if you have a flat tire ,it can happen.It happened to me and the wife yesterday on I- 95. We felt it wiggle as we turned onto the exit ,we didn't have a plan so the first thing I did was hit the panic button ,then pushed the bike down the ramp , the ramp sloped to the right just enough the bike wouldn't lean over enough to stand up where we originally stopped. To make the story short WE were only about 15 mi from home ,We got a ride home ,got our truck went to Lowes bought a trailer ,made it home .We need a better plan than this.

Back