free website stats program Tipping over at slow/stop | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tipping over at slow/stop

I have now 750 miles on bike and your right practice and more riding I should get there. I have taken the school years back, but they teach you on a light bike. I had no issues with the sabre, just now have a lot heavier of a bike and having to get used to it is the key. This is why I ask the question so as to get some tech from others on the slow right turns going into places and at that last moment the bike tipped over to which I think and know now front pressure was to hard coming in. I will use all this advice and practice more with the bike and maybe even do what was said above protect some items. Just like anything you need to know the limits. But you have to know at only 132lbs and 5' 11 I have a lot to hold up. I lift everyday so just have to get used to bike and feel in touch more with the bike. Besides I am earning a nickname with my group of skidmark instead of pyro and need to fix my issues fast! LOL Thanks again everyone you have put some good info up to learn from.

It is easy to drop these heavy-weighters at slow speed. Pyro, do you manage to pick up your bike after a drop? The good thing is that with front and rear crash bars, it just sort of leans over and is easy to pickup.
The advice given here are good ones; start & stop with front wheel straight, keep your head up. You should also practise slow-speed manoeuvring in an empty parking lot until you're confident; U-turns, tight circles, slow-speed slalom (put 8-10 plastic bottles in line spaced about 1.5m/5ft apart).

You need to practice those stops over and over. Accelerate to about 10mph and apply both brakes smoothly and back off on the front brake just before you stop. Keep the rear brake coverd and put you left foot down, then repeat. Work this in to your muscle memory and keep your head and eyes up on the horizon. Many people have a hard time going from a stop to an immediate right turn. Holding the friction point is more difficult for some, with the handle bars are turned to the right and have there clutch hand extended further away from them. Again, this takes practice and feathering the rear brake as you do this may make it easier for you.

Many riding skills can be improved with slow speed training and mastering the use of the friction point. Challenge yourself and see how slow you can ride your bike and make right and left turns using just the throttle and clutch, with feathering the rear brake. You will find the bike very well balanced and the ability to go at a crawl can be mastered.

You need to practice those stops over and over. Accelerate to about 10mph and apply both brakes smoothly and back off on the front brake just before you stop. Keep the rear brake coverd and put you left foot down, then repeat. Work this in to your muscle memory and keep your head and eyes up on the horizon. Many people have a hard time going from a stop to an immediate right turn. Holding the friction point is more difficult for some, with the handle bars are turned to the right and have there clutch hand extended further away from them. Again, this takes practice and feathering the rear brake as you do this may make it easier for you.

Many riding skills can be improved with slow speed training and mastering the use of the friction point. Challenge yourself and see how slow you can ride your bike and make right and left turns using just the throttle and clutch, with feathering the rear brake. You will find the bike very well balanced and the ability to go at a crawl can be mastered.

:good

Bingo!

You have to be very careful with a new (your first) touring bike off the showroon floor. The front brake is extremely quick to grab if the wheel is turned while stopping. They should come with a warning label !!

I have found that after several thousdand miles the front brake will wear in and be much more forgiving and less likely to grab. You will also learn and gain the experence necessary so it won't be a problem for you.

I have now 750 miles on bike and your right practice and more riding I should get there. I have taken the school years back, but they teach you on a light bike. I had no issues with the sabre, just now have a lot heavier of a bike and having to get used to it is the key. This is why I ask the question so as to get some tech from others on the slow right turns going into places and at that last moment the bike tipped over to which I think and know now front pressure was to hard coming in. I will use all this advice and practice more with the bike and maybe even do what was said above protect some items. Just like anything you need to know the limits. But you have to know at only 132lbs and 5' 11 I have a lot to hold up. I lift everyday so just have to get used to bike and feel in touch more with the bike. Besides I am earning a nickname with my group of skidmark instead of pyro and need to fix my issues fast! LOL Thanks again everyone you have put some good info up to learn from.
At 132 lbs and short of 6', I'd put you on the small side for an Ultra. I would tend to think the problem is more the attitude of the bike when you take off or stop more than how you use your breaks.
At 800#'s+ of motorcycle you have a challenge Pyro. Always launch your bike in a straight line, if ya got the wheel turned, unless you got a lot of practice and muscel your gonna drop it. You might want to consider lowering the bike or you seat height, I'd also think about installing a quick disconnect for the Tour Pac and not using it unless you have to. When you do pack your bike make sure you pack it with the weight as low as you can, this means putting all the heavy stuff in the Bags and packing the tour pac with next to nothing. Make sure of your footing, stay out of the center of the road at light and stops, that's were all the oils, grease and gravel is. Set your slow speed turns up so you have the widest turn path possible. If you have a passenger make sure they know not to move around at stops. But most of all, have fun with that big bad Ultra Limited!

I agree with glen073, about the practice and more practice. This is what I have been doing. I stop at every spot so I can get more practice in. It is that muscle memory stuff.

i would suggest you watch the video that has been posted on this forum. it shows a 15yr old girl 4'11'' tall riding a eleltra glide police bike. Also if you get the chance get a copy of the video called Ride Like A Pro. you can also go to youtube and search ride like a pro. the video will tell you never hit the front brake while going under 15mph with the front wheel turned. you can take off with the front wheel turned all the way to either side. but it just takes practice. good luck and enjoy your ride

Buy the video RIDE LIKE A PRO you will learn a lot from this video on how to ride slow, turning at slow speeds and stopping. Then practice this in a vacant parking lot. I had rode for years and did this and also used this to teach my kids how to ride. :newsmile01:

Might be a bit off subject, but never, ever use the front brake when there is either sand or gravel or water for that matter present. You will dump it.

Back