free website stats program Time to Act | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Time to Act

Yeah, it probably has a lot to do with being in NJ, we have some fairly populated areas and our share of idiots, but for certain, I take my safety on a motorcycle to be my responsibility. As one post pointed out, it would be great if people paid attention to us when they drive, but I'm not counting on that. The bad thing about motorcycling, is that any confrontation you get into with a cage, even if it's a Yugo, you're going to loose. So, until folks who drive cars start to wake up, I'll keep my paranoia.....

ok glider ez with the jersey comments i've been ridin in and around these roads near 40 years for the most part nj drivers are courteous and very knowledgeable. Like anywherwe in the world your gonna have your handful of nuts who just don't care about anyone but themselves. ps glider next time your on the east coast i'd be happy to put you up at my place and take you on a riding tour of our beautifuil state.

As the weather warmed and the number of bikes on the road increased, I wanted to post a thread reminding everyone to ride safe............ I did not.

Today after reading "Tragedy in Phoenix Yesterday" from Gas Gauge, I felt called to do more. Many of you have posted information on safe riding techniques, pre ride inspections, DWI, phones, and more, asking you to ride safe is like preaching to the choir............ ride safe please!

Besides bike fourms I'm a member of a Chevy truck fourm, my wife has a facebook account and we share an e-mail account. I will start here. I will e-mail/post a Request asking them to Please look out for those of us who ride. The idea is to remind those who do not ride of our presence. Hopefully this simple request will raise their awareness. I'm asking you to do the same. Because of the many walks of life that we come from, and our many different interest, we have the ability to reach millions.

The goal is to save lives through awarness. If you choose to help, Please be respectfull and not rude. Hopefully we can save the lives of family members, friends, and brothers we'll never meet.

Ignorance IS a Choice, and Passiveness IS Acceptance!

Thanks

I've been catching up ever since and have almost made up for lost time

But seriously, I felt exactly the same way about whiskey. I used to equate it to cat p!ss; now I quite enjoy it.

I think it is a good thing to get the word out. It can't hurt in any event.
Between cell phones, radios, texting, gps voices, being late for work, plain bad driver or young/new drivers (especially when schools let out): it is a battle I don't think we will ever win.

What I would suggest is, if you can, take someone for a ride with you that you want to educate. Might not help for you lucky people who live in rural areas as much, but 15 minutes on 695 around Baltimore wakes people up to bad/risky driving. I know it probably won't last forever in their memory, but I think it is a good reinforcement. (Don't forget to take them on a nice back road to show them what it riding is REALLY about, then maybe we will have one more rider instead of a cager!)

Good post!

I do the same thing and i live in iowa . At 5:00 every cager is in such a hurry to get home it's like an indy race hitting brakes switching lanes it's pandimonium , if i spelled it right , you just have to be on the deffensive all the time . Better safe than sorry . I constantly watch my rear view mirror and the cars in front and to my side .

It may sound a tad paranoid, but I ride as if everyone is out to get me...You have to keep you eyes constantly searching for signs of trouble....There are so many distractions out there, and so many people who fall prey to them. Constantly scan the road before you. Notice if people who are pulling out into traffic are paying attention and notice you. Check your mirrors often for people coming up fast from behind. Pay attention to those coming towards you, especially for any inattention and lane drifting.

If all of this sounds a bit un-relaxing, to a degree, it is. That's why I spend a lot of time on back roads that are not as heavily travelled. Yes, you still have to keep a watchful eye, but there are not as many obstacles to a safe ride...

No, my friend, you are not paranoid, you are just describing the Art of
Defensive Driving. They use to teach that in driving schools in the 60's.

Back