free website stats program Time off | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Time off

Awall, I feel your pain. I am about half way through a 6 month two level back fusion recovery. It will probably be June of July before the Dr releases me to ride again. I have been sneaking out to the garage and doing some small projects on the bikes, like headlight replacement and some detail cleaning I can reach while not bending.

As others have said, don't push it too much. You'll be back on your ride before you know it.:44:

Good luck and heal up!

I think you could be riding sooner than you think. If you can walk to the bike and throw you leg over the saddle, the rest is much easier than that! With in reason, getting back to your routines is the best way to heal and even better if it is something you love doing!

I would think that if, while riding, you stretch your leg from the floor board out to the highway pegs (or in that direction if you don't have them) several times every couple of miles, you could count this as physical therapy in the best open air facility in the world!!!:D:s I believe riding a HD can heal the mind and the body for what ails them!

In fact, since we get much of our vestibular sense (internal sense of balance) from our bones/joints, this is one area that perhaps using the bike as a "crutch" will help you gradually regain that "signal" that your real knee used to send.:)

Try to be fully better before going back on the bike as its a heavy bike for a weak limb to be controlling

Brian

Had total reconstructive surgery on one knee, an ACL graft done in the other knee and two knee scope surgeries. Believe me and the other posts here, do the physical therapy. It is well worth your time and effort! :cheers

Awall, hope all goes well and let the knee heal completely so there are no future problems. Just fire the bike up and listen to the rumble. it'll make youfeel better.

I know your pain, I've had Three knee surgeries, and it's still messed up, DR's say it needs to be replaced but I'm too young so they wont do it.....(So in other words they told me to deal with it for another 10-20 years :newsmile100:)...Anyway, TRUST ME, take your time and let it heal!!!! Don't rush it!!!!! And do your therepy!!! Otherwise you could end up like me with constant knee pain in both knees!! I rushed myself and got anxious to get back in there turning wrenches under airplanes, and all the sudden...... POP!! TEAR!! Followed by numerous words that would get me banned here! That's my experience!!

Thanks guys, and thanks for the prayers, I know I've never met any of you guys but I feel that your all the best bunch of guys out there.

Well, it's been almost 4 weeks since my surgery and things are doing very well. PT said that I am doing better than most and my recovery is way ahead of normal. I go back to doctor on friday and should be released at that time to drive, ride and go back to work. Thanks for all your thoughts, prayers and concerns.

Back