free website stats program Ticking noise when accelerating | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ticking noise when accelerating

Tigg

Case in point here is to see if it is the station you are using now for your gas giving you bad gas.

I had an experience with a Exxon station that I used for my fuel when both of my cars started pinging after a fill up at that station. I brought it to the station owners attention and never went back there. The pinging stopped after the next fill up at a different station.

How serious can this be? I was under the impression this can cause serious damage in a short time and should not be ignored? Not true?

For me everytime it sounds like a bucket of bolts are shooting around the top of engine/bottom of gas tank it has been bad gas. (the bike) It just happened to me this weekend. I did an oil/trans fluid change and went for a ride and got a tank full of gas. It has been brutal. Stopped tonight for a fresh tankful and INSTANTLY, the problem is gone.

This has happened to me 3 times already. Everytime its bad gas.

I sure hope you don't buy gas there at that station any more where you got the bad gas. They are probably selling regular in the hi test pump.

Mine is much harder to hear. You almost have to be listening for it. I seem to have the problem no matter where I buy the gas. I get gas from a couple of different stations in the area but I will have to pay more attention. It seldom bothers me when my engine is making noises becaue this thing has sounded like a singer sewing machine since I got it. I hear some bike as quieter and some that make more noise than mine. The IDS made a huge difference but that only quited it down so I could hear the lifers.:D It's A harley...If I wanted a Quiet bike I would have bought a Goldwing........oh perish the thought:yeahright

Most of the later BTs have Ion Sensing and automatic ignition retard. If you can hear detonation, it is huge, Never ignore it. As soon as you hear it change your throttle position. The Sportsters are undrivable in 90+ weather. The only cheep solution is _IEDs from Nightrider. The better solution is a well tuned fuel controller. This tends to be hidden if you have loud exhaust as you can not hear the detonation.

You can borrow a SERT with a laptop with the software that came with the original SERT and see all of this on a laptop with third party free software.

This is stuff most tuners do not want you to know as you will return to have the tune he gave you fixed for free.

AW

My 2000 dyna had the ticking noise and finally was using a little oil.. noticed out the exhaust when I got on it... 17,000 mi...... the noise got louder but not loud enough to give OTHER experts the right answer to me...... NOISE turned out to be a BAD crank at the front rod...... TOOK a long time b-4 it was found .......the shavings finally scored the piston walls enough to drop compression a little...... NOISE was NEVER real loud.....

Bad food for thought......

signed....BUBBIE

they have what hd call ion sense which is a knock sensor n takes ignition out after a couple of pings

My '07 SE Ultra had the same type of noise (110ci motor) & it turned out the rocker boxes needed to be clearenced on the inside, due to the rockers lightly hitting the sides of the boxes.

It was only after the bike was warm...

Back